• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS resident wishes to sue Utah company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glc

What is the name of your state?New York
Can I sue a financial consulting firm in Utah, even though I live in NYS?
I have a contract with a company in Utah to provide certain financially services, which they have not done. Thanks for your advice in advance!

seniorjudge

Q: Can I sue a financial consulting firm in Utah, even though I live in NYS?

A: Yes; Utah is beautiful this time of year and you will enjoy your stay out there.

shortbus

I assume you want to know if you can sue the Utah co. in NY. Every state has a "long arm statute" that enables courts of that state to exercise jurisdiction over people & companies out of state. It depends on the nature & type of contacts the company had with you as a result of this business relationship. You'd have to consult a lawyer to know where you stand. Establishing jurisdiction is a prerequisite to anything else (e.g. asserting a cause of action)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">