• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was served today for small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davebil

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Was served for collection of expenses relating to an vehicle accident from 2 years ago. I was covered by insurance of course and now I'm totally in the dark regarding any expenses that were not covered by my carrier at the time.

I'd like to find out more details before deciding what to do. Would it be best to have an attorney contact the plaintiff directly and possibly negotiate a settlement if needed? I really don't want to spend anymore time in court on this matter.

thanks

JETX

davebil said:
Was served for collection of expenses relating to an vehicle accident from 2 years ago. I was covered by insurance
Since you had insurance at the time of the accident, simply contact your insurance agent and/or insurance carrier. They will provide an attorney for you under your insurance policy.

seniorjudge

davebil said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

Was served for collection of expenses relating to an vehicle accident from 2 years ago. I was covered by insurance of course and now I'm totally in the dark regarding any expenses that were not covered by my carrier at the time.

I'd like to find out more details before deciding what to do. Would it be best to have an attorney contact the plaintiff directly and possibly negotiate a settlement if needed? I really don't want to spend anymore time in court on this matter.

thanks
I am assuming (always a bad thing to do) that you mean that you are being sued for costs, expenses, damages, etc. above and beyond what your insurance paid.

Is this correct?

If not, then exactly what is it that you are being sued for?

davebil

Followup to my case. Turns out my old insurance company was fully aware of the situation and handled the entire matter. They settled before the matter came to court. The case was settled.

The official filing states "252 Dismissed with prejudice". What exactly does that mean? The state was Illinois.

thanks to all

JETX

davebil said:
Followup to my case. Turns out my old insurance company was fully aware of the situation and handled the entire matter. They settled before the matter came to court. The case was settled.

The official filing states "252 Dismissed with prejudice". What exactly does that mean? The state was Illinois.

thanks to all
So, as stated before... contact YOUR insurance company. If this was in fact settled in full.... your insurance company will have a release signed by the claimant.

mo4

dismissed with prejudice usually means the case is dropped unless you can find more evidence etc/

JETX

mo4 said:
dismissed with prejudice usually means the case is dropped unless you can find more evidence etc/
Of course, that is NOT correct.
Dismissed with prejudice means that the case is CLOSED and cannot be refiled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">