• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Sale Problem - Failure to Fulfill Terms of Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bear4bear

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've sold my house. The buyers signed in the purchase agreement that they will assume the alarm monitoring contract at $32 per month. The alarm equipment was left in the home for them. The contract runs another 2 1/2 years. They have now told the alarm company that they will not assume the contract. My question is, I have to pay $32 per month for more than 2 years as I have the contract with the alarm company. Can I sue for $32 x 2 1/2 years or will that not be allowed as I have not yet paid future amounts? I could get out of the contract now by paying the alarm company the full amount owing on the contract plus $200 for unreturned alarm equipment. I don't know if the Judge would allow this as the buyers signed to "assume alarm monitoring contract at $32 per month". Any advice is appreciated.

seniorjudge

bear4bear said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I've sold my house. The buyers signed in the purchase agreement that they will assume the alarm monitoring contract at $32 per month. The alarm equipment was left in the home for them. The contract runs another 2 1/2 years. They have now told the alarm company that they will not assume the contract. My question is, I have to pay $32 per month for more than 2 years as I have the contract with the alarm company. Can I sue for $32 x 2 1/2 years or will that not be allowed as I have not yet paid future amounts? I could get out of the contract now by paying the alarm company the full amount owing on the contract plus $200 for unreturned alarm equipment. I don't know if the Judge would allow this as the buyers signed to "assume alarm monitoring contract at $32 per month". Any advice is appreciated.
Cancel the alarm system.

Pay the alaram company.

Whatever it costs you, sue for that amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">