• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 9 yr old house has collasped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gemini6551

What is the name of your state?new york I purchased a house in 2000 it was inspected and to be in good order except for cosmetic matters .I bought this directly from the builder who is now decesed.In May 2005 my bedroom floor collasped.The main carrier beam has rotted away as well as numerous damage to the foundation of my home .A structural engineer reported to me the home was not built to plans submitted to the town and there forth was now rotted away .I don't know where to turn .I contacted the Att General and he has advised me to seek Legal rep. however I have contacted several law firms and gotten no call backs.I am told I can proceed with litigation on my own Pro Sec ? can anyone help?

dallas702

You say the builder is deceased, but is the company still existing? Does your warranty extend to his estate in the case of death? Was this home part of a subdivision or development? If so, are there other homes with the same problem? Many times, if there are numerous homes with serious problems your state will have a program for rebuilding or repairing them.

gemini6551

9 yr old home collasped

new york ...Yes other homes in this area with similar problems but builder was alive and fixed them .This is a spot built develeopment with all different kind of houses.I recentely found a sale by the estate in the legal section of my newspaper.The estate is run by a bank.The business no longer exists

gemini6551

9 yr old home collasped

NY I have had the house shored up temporally untill I can get the monies to fix it completely which could be as much as 50,000

dallas702

Suing the estate for damages in a situation like this is too complex to do on your own. If you know for sure there is an estate that can be be attached you at least have somewhere for an attorney to collect damages plus his expenses. Otherwise, it's hard for anyone to take a case with no chance of a payoff. You could check with your District Court to see if they have packets that can be filled in and filed by laymen (like California). You also need to talk to and get statements from all your neighbors in the development. Some states have a reserve pool subsidized by builders/contractors fees for claims just like yours.

gemini6551

9 yr ols house collasped

Thank you for your help.I am going to try to get to the court house.I have contacted 6 law firms about this and nooone seems to want to take this case.Would it also help to try to start some procedings against the building inspector who passed this construction?My insurance co refuses to pay anything .Cost would be 50,000 to fix but one builder told me to knock down this house and start over because there are sooooo many problems .

HomeGuru

gemini6551 said:
What is the name of your state?new york I purchased a house in 2000 it was inspected and to be in good order except for cosmetic matters .I bought this directly from the builder who is now decesed.In May 2005 my bedroom floor collasped.The main carrier beam has rotted away as well as numerous damage to the foundation of my home .A structural engineer reported to me the home was not built to plans submitted to the town and there forth was now rotted away .I don't know where to turn .I contacted the Att General and he has advised me to seek Legal rep. however I have contacted several law firms and gotten no call backs.I am told I can proceed with litigation on my own Pro Sec ? can anyone help?
**A: did you have a home inspection done before you bought and after the collapse? What was the cause of the failure?

dallas702

Good point, HomeGuru. You have to show max documentation fo all the problems involved.

What exactly is your HO insurance co. saying to deny your claim?

gemini6551

9yr old house collasped

ny ...yes I did have an inspection before and after the house collasped I had it inspected by a structural enginneer.The ins refuses to pay because they claim from the reports it showed the main problem was faulty construction and shoddy materials used in construction as well as an inspection that was passed by the inspector(building and code infrocement) which should have sited the items that were suppose to be done but not done as planned.I finally got to speak with a lawyer that was recomended by the bar assoc.He charged me 400.00 for a 2:15 consultation.He will go ahead with a suit but wants a 4,000.00 retainer and various other fees which I could never afford .If I had those resourses I would just try to fix or rebuild this house.According to him there are various ways to file this suit non of which will cost less than approx 25-25 thousand dollars.I am a single income female who gave him in 2 hrs what I bring home in a week!I am 55 yrs old and about to loose everything I have worked so hard to get .You would think there would be something I could do .Unfortunately I do not have the resourses to do anything except watch my home collasp beneath me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">