• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged with insurance fraud 3rd degree even after I told them to dismiss my claim.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

habit50

Hi, thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I feel as if I have been unfairly arrested and it's costing me thousands and now possibly jail time.

Some backround, I am in NY state and was covered by progressive insurance.

Long story short I had a BMW M3 insured with them a few months ago, collison, comp, the whole 9 because I had a loan out on the car.

Like a dumbass, I canceled the collision on my car because it was astronomical (26 year old male, speeding ticket, BMW, do the math). As luck would have it I got into a single car accident with no property damage THAT night after I canceled. (canceled at 3pm, accident occured at about 1am following morning).

Since there were no witness, and me being even more of a dumbass, I claimed that the accident occured before I canceled my collison (estimate was about 8 grand in damage). There was no proof either way when the accident occured as there was no police report. I claimed I didn't report the accident when I canceled the collision because I lost cell phone service. I reported it after it happened, at about 2 am that next morning.

I gave that statement over the phone, and then progressive stalled and wanted me to give a court recorded statement with an investigator present. I hired an attorney and went. Well, it turns out when I called after the accident I said some stupid things, basically how I had cancelled collison before the accident and I was wondering if there was an extended grace period etc.

After my attorney and I heard my recorded phone calls, she advised me to just say I was confused, and in shock (which was true). It was also my sisters wedding that night which added to the confusion. I then gave a recorded statement saying I was confused and I think I might have cancelled my collision first. I said "I don't want to get charged with insurance fraud or perjury, so you can dismiss my claim. I guess I canceled my collision before the accident as I was in shock that day and don't recall."

Of course progressive denied my claim. I thought I was ok, after all , its all about money, right? Well, a few months later I get a call from the NYS insurance dept. They are charging me with insurance fraud in the 3rd degree, a class D felony! I never got a cent from the claim. I withdrew it that day on record. I told the truth that day on record. Why is this happening?

Any advice? This doesn't sound right. Maybe perjury, but insurance fraud. WTF. Please give me some advice, because I believe my lawyer is a dumbass. A 2500 dollar retained dumbass. TIA

habit50 said:
Hi, thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. I feel as if I have been unfairly arrested and it's costing me thousands and now possibly jail time.

Some backround, I am in NY state and was covered by progressive insurance.

Long story short I had a BMW M3 insured with them a few months ago, collison, comp, the whole 9 because I had a loan out on the car.

Like a dumbass, I canceled the collision on my car because it was astronomical (26 year old male, speeding ticket, BMW, do the math). As luck would have it I got into a single car accident with no property damage THAT night after I canceled. (canceled at 3pm, accident occured at about 1am following morning).

Since there were no witness, and me being even more of a dumbass, I claimed that the accident occured before I canceled my collison (estimate was about 8 grand in damage). There was no proof either way when the accident occured as there was no police report. I claimed I didn't report the accident when I canceled the collision because I lost cell phone service. I reported it after it happened, at about 2 am that next morning.

I gave that statement over the phone, and then progressive stalled and wanted me to give a court recorded statement with an investigator present. I hired an attorney and went. Well, it turns out when I called after the accident I said some stupid things, basically how I had cancelled collison before the accident and I was wondering if there was an extended grace period etc.

After my attorney and I heard my recorded phone calls, she advised me to just say I was confused, and in shock (which was true). It was also my sisters wedding that night which added to the confusion. I then gave a recorded statement saying I was confused and I think I might have cancelled my collision first. I said "I don't want to get charged with insurance fraud or perjury, so you can dismiss my claim. I guess I canceled my collision before the accident as I was in shock that day and don't recall."

Of course progressive denied my claim. I thought I was ok, after all , its all about money, right? Well, a few months later I get a call from the NYS insurance dept. They are charging me with insurance fraud in the 3rd degree, a class D felony! I never got a cent from the claim. I withdrew it that day on record. I told the truth that day on record. Why is this happening?

Any advice? This doesn't sound right. Maybe perjury, but insurance fraud. WTF. Please give me some advice, because I believe my lawyer is a dumbass. A 2500 dollar retained dumbass. TIA
This is wonderful to read. I can't believe someone actually got CAUGHT! Those of us responsible drivers who carry adequate insurance and don't have claims and tickets are forced to pay higher insurance rates because of dishonest people like you. We are always happy when one of you morons gets busted.

I find it hysterical that you're complaining that you shouldn't be charged with a crime because you didn't get any money from it. By that same theory, if I walk into Bank America tomorrow with a gun to rob them, I should only be charged if I make off with the dough, not if they thwart my efforts. Does this make any sense to you???

Whether you collected 10,000 from it, 10 cents from it, or nothing from it, you committed insurance fraud. And kudos to New York for prosecuting you for it. Any idiot who would drive a BMW with no collision gets exactly what he deserves. And if you couldn't afford to insure it, perhaps you should have purchased a less expensive vehicle. I used to live in the Northeast, and New York and Jersey are full of people driving around uninsured in expensive vehicles. I've been hit twice in New York (neither time my fault), and both times the drivers had NO insurance. Typical.

I usually wish people luck when I give them advice. In this case, I wish the state of New York luck. And I hope they throw your dumb a** in jail.

habit50

Well, thanks for your advice.

Maybe I deserved some of it. Maybe not.

I could afford the insurance just fine, until some moron (like me, as you put it), rear ended me at 55 mph and took off. The police and his insurance company put him at fault, and guess what....my insurance skyrocketed, hence my dropping the collison. I retained all other legal coverage on the vehicle, so if I hit you, you would be fine.

I am not some spoiled rich brat who's mommy bought him a BMW. I worked and saved for this car for 6 years. The first week I had it someone kicked the door denting it in the parking lot. ONE WEEK. I reported it with collision, and BHAM my rates rocketed AGAIN!! I have been a loyal progressive customer for OVER 10 YEARS. I have never been in accident, never reported ANY claims until I got my BMW and someone first vandalized it and then got me with a hit and run. I paid my bills in full, on time, every time, for 120 months, easily paying them over 20 thousand dollars in that time frame. And when it comes time for them to pay me? They offer me 120 dollars for the damage to my bumper when it gets smashed in at 55 mph but some drunk. They said it would "buff out"...on a 1 out of 600 made Estoril Blue M3 with a metallic flake/pearl paint job. If you don't know what that it is, heres a hint. IT DOESN"T GET BUFFED OUT FOR 100 DOLLARS! On top of that, they never gave me a cent for the damage done in the parking lot. And I am the criminal here....think about it.

The insurance industry is one of the biggest fleecing scams running in this country, regardless of how many people commit fraud (which I DID NOT DO if you read my post). Do you really think insurance companies WOULDN"T be raping us if fraudlent claims filed went down? Think about it, it's an excuse. They might be using lube, but we would still be grabbing our ankles. But of course I am the one who deserves to go to jail.......riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Now if anyone has any real advice instead of just trying to vent off on me via the internet (sad reflection of your character I might add), I would greatly appreciate it.

Did I make a mistake? Yes. But when push came to shove I told the truth and reported on record exactly what happened, which WAS NOT INSURANCE FRAUD. Thanks for your 2 cents though.

Last edited:

teflon_jones

The fact that you changed your story later doesn't matter. You committed insurance fraud. If I robbed a bank and then returned the money, does that make it ok?

You Are Guilty

NYSPL said:
§176.20 Insurance Fraud in the third degree
A person is guilty of insurance fraud in the third degree when he commits a fraudulent insurance act and thereby wrongfully takes, obtains or withholds, [highlight]or attempts to wrongfull take, obtain or withhold[/highlight] property in excess of three thousand dollars.
§176.05 said:
A fraudulent insurance act is committed by any person who, knowingly and with intent to defraud presents, causes to be presented, or prepares with knowledge or belief that it will be presented to or by an insurer . . . or any agent thereof, any written statement as part of, or in support of, an application for the issuance of . . . or a claim for payment or other benefit pursuant to an insurance policy . . . which he knows to: (i) contain materially false information concerning any fact material thereto; or (ii) conceal, for the purposes of misleading, information concerning any fact material thereto.
The only difference in the degree of the crime is the amount of money involved. You don't get a "do over" just because you suck at fraud. (Was your "claim" between $3,000 and $50,000?)

stephenk

"The insurance industry is one of the biggest fleecing scams running in this country, regardless of how many people commit fraud (which I DID NOT DO if you read my post). "

Of course you committed insurance fraud. You just got caught before you cashed the check.

If you didn't like the coverage provided by Progressive you could have shopped for cheaper coverage.

Next week I am taking the statement under oath from an insured for the carrier I work for. He is trying to claim his $120k BMW suffered engine damage from flooding when he drove through an intersection where a fire hydrant had broken. We have already interviewed the firefighting squad that was at the scene and no one saw this BMW or helped pull it out of the intersection. The car only had "water damage" on the driver floorboard, not on the passenger side or the trunk. Plus, we had the engine torn down and found out the car had been raced and the damage was caused by oil and water mixing together at high speed rpms.

Guess what will happen when he lies under oath about how his car was damaged?

habit50

Cheaper coverage? Pfffft. They are all astronomical. Just because I worked hard to own a nice car doesn't mean I should get raped in insuring it. That is almost as stupid as the "Tax the Rich" Bumper sticker. Working harder and smarter doesn't give ANYONE the right make you pay more. More power to you for getting that far in life.

Insurance companies will do anything not to pay a claim, they are criminals in their own right, allthough that is an entirely different post. You pay them out the ass for years, and when it comes time to collect they give you the run around and treat you like a criminal. What an industry.

I said different things, yes, but some statements were misconstrued. The whole reason I had an EUO with a court recorded is to take down my testimony. UNDER OATH. I did that, told the truth, and in fact did the exact opposite of attempting fraud. I was quoted under oath that I did not intend to commit fraud or perjur myself, that parts of my phone conversation were misunderstood and I am here now to set the record straight.

§176.20. I read the section. Abiding by that they state has no case. I clearly made no attempt under oath to fraudelenty obtain money from progressive (which was a paltry 5,500 dollars for mangaled 30,000 dollar car, with their garbage non OEM parts and all that BS. Crooks) I had a sentencing tonight and I was ROR'd. On a felony. So maybe this judge sees something all you naysayers don't?

This advice is worth exactly what I am paying for it, hence the forum name.

stephenk: I take it you are a claims adjuster. Most of whom know jack squat about the cars the make estimates on all day long. Mine reported that my car was turbocharged. It's not. Maybe he should be baking cookies instead of touching cars.

The BMW was raced, causing oil and water to mix?! Hahahhhaa. Um, no. Have you ever hear of a rev limiter? Look it up, all BMW's in that price range have one (I am assuming it's a 7 series or a newer M?). Do you know how they test those motors on the assembly line. It's something much harder than you could ever do to your own car, even if you wanted to. I am sure this guy has paid out the ass for his insurance over the years for owning a nice car. You seem to be admitting he did have damage. Pay the guy the money he deserves. I don't know the whole story, who knows, he could be a lying scumbag. But I do know, for a fact, that you can't destroy a BMW engine by "racing it causing the oil and water to mix". It is just not possible. Please learn more about these cars (and automobiles in general) your adjusting claims on before writing out insulting estimates and lining your employers pockets. Lemme guess, a mechanic on the insurance companies payroll (ahem, excuse me, a mechanic "recognized" by the insurance company, is that the proper terminology you use these days?) came up with that little dandy? Disgusting.

Maybe I should have thought more about a few things. But I have learned quite a bit through this ordeal. One is thinking I would actually get what I deserved for paying insurance for the better part of my life like a good citizen. Tons in, zero out. Works out nice for you insurance guys.

The second is that you get exactly what you pay for when you ask for advice.

Last edited:
habit50 said:
Cheaper coverage? Pfffft. They are all astronomical. Just because I worked hard to own a nice car doesn't mean I should get raped in insuring it. That is almost as stupid as the "Tax the Rich" Bumper sticker. Working harder and smarter doesn't give ANYONE the right make you pay more. More power to you for getting that far in life.

Insurance companies will do anything not to pay a claim, they are criminals in their own right, allthough that is an entirely different post. You pay them out the ass for years, and when it comes time to collect they give you the run around and treat you like a criminal. What an industry.

I said different things, yes, but some statements were misconstrued. The whole reason I had an EUO with a court recorded is to take down my testimony. UNDER OATH. I did that, told the truth, and in fact did the exact opposite of attempting fraud. I was quoted under oath that I did not intend to commit fraud or perjur myself, that parts of my phone conversation were misunderstood and I am here now to set the record straight.

§176.20. I read the section. Abiding by that they state has no case. I clearly made no attempt under oath to fraudelenty obtain money from progressive (which was a paltry 5,500 dollars for mangaled 30,000 dollar car, with their garbage non OEM parts and all that BS. Crooks) I had a sentencing tonight and I was ROR'd. On a felony. So maybe this judge sees something all you naysayers don't?

stephenk: I take it you are a claims adjuster. Most of whom know jack squat about the cars the make estimates on all day long. Mine reported that my car was turbocharged. It's not. Maybe he should be baking cookies instead of touching cars.

The BMW was raced, causing oil and water to mix?! Hahahhhaa. Um, no. Have you ever hear of a rev limiter? Look it up, all BMW's in that price range have one (I am assuming it's a 7 series or a newer M?). Do you know how they test those motors on the assembly line. It's something much harder than you could ever do to your own car, even if you wanted to. I am sure this guy has paid out the ass for his insurance over the years for owning a nice car. You seem to be admitting he did have damage. Pay the guy the money he deserves. I don't know the whole story, who knows, he could be a lying scumbag. But I do know, for a fact, that you can't destroy a BMW engine by "racing it causing the oil and water to mix". It is just not possible. Please learn more about these cars (and automobiles in general) your adjusting claims on before writing out insulting estimates and lining your employers pockets. Lemme guess, a mechanic on the insurance companies payroll (ahem, excuse me, a mechanic "recognized" by the insurance company, is that the proper terminology you use these days?) came up with that little dandy? Disgusting.

Maybe I should have thought more about a few things. But I have learned quite a bit through this ordeal. One is thinking I would actually get what I deserved for paying insurance for the better part of my life like a good citizen. Tons in, zero out. Works out nice for you insurance guys.

You seem to have a lot of excuses for not properly insuring your vehicle. I was not, as you suggest, venting on you. I was simply pointing out how I enjoy it when someone who commits fraud gets caught.

You suggest that the fact that you don't carry collision doesn't affect me personally. Well, fraud does affect me personally. That's like saying that retail theft doesn't affect me, even as I pay more money to cover stores' shrinkage.

My issue is not that you have a BMW (I've had two of them and now drive a Saab). My issue is that you drive a BMW and don't properly insure it. That just makes no sense to me. Insurance isn't just to protect others, it is to protect your assets. You could have bought a less expensive car with a lower symbol and insured it for less money. Your premiums are high because you have a vehicle that is expensive to repair. There's nothing wrong with working hard an achieving success and having nice things. But if you want to keep those nice things, you have to do the right thing. Committing fraud, which you did indeed do, is not doing the right thing. So now you have to pay the piper.

Also, I wonder why you are insured with Progressive instead of a better carrier. Progressive tends to write drivers with bad credit and/or a lot of claims and accidents. If that's the case, that could also explain why your rates were so high.

You Are Guilty

You know, I had just written an extensive reply showing why under NY law, the lack of a "writing" is immaterial to the charge, and accidentally hit delete while previewing it. And as I thought about rewriting it, it came to me - what the hell am I doing trying to convince a criminal that he's guilty? I'm sure the courts will do a much better job than I ever could.

So OP, after you've been convicted, please post back here and let us know your sentence.

PS: Ever heard of a rev/top speed delimiter? I'm sure the owner of the $120k BMW has :rolleyes:

habit50

You Are Guilty said:
You know, I had just written an extensive reply showing why under NY law, the lack of a "writing" is immaterial to the charge, and accidentally hit delete while previewing it. And as I thought about rewriting it, it came to me - what the hell am I doing trying to convince a criminal that he's guilty? I'm sure the courts will do a much better job than I ever could.

So OP, after you've been convicted, please post back here and let us know your sentence.

PS: Ever heard of a rev/top speed delimiter? I'm sure the owner of the $120k BMW has :rolleyes:
Right, I am sure that he had one that is how "oil and water mixed in his engine". Dumbasses. You don't want to get into an intellectual debate with me regarding automobiles. I will tear you to pieces.

I will be sure to reply back when the DA accepts a plea for a slap on the wrist. 27 year old male, no CRIMINAL history, recorded conversation under oath telling the truth, high paying job (read: higher tax bracket so they can suck more money from me), lived in the area all his life, volunteer, etc. They will plea it down to a misd. 85% of insurance fraud cases are released on conditional discharges, especially 3rd degree ones. 5% of people charged with felony insurance fraud actually are convicted in the state of NY, according to the insurance website. Seems like good odds to me.

Instead I come on here and get pissed on. If that is what makes you feel better, it will sure make me feel better to scan my plea agreement and post it. Can you attach jpeg's here, or is it to dumbed down for that? I am guessing on the latter due to the clientle.

If you knew me personally you would realize I am the furthest thing from a criminal. I go out of my way everyday to help people out, for nothing more than it makes me feel better. I make mistakes like everyone else does, but I am not a criminal. I just have absolutely no respect for authourity, yet I try as best I can to abide by the assine laws that have been dealt to me. Sometimes I don't obey them, I guess in your eyes that makes me a criminal. I am totally content with the path I chose in life, and would wager I am a better person than most of the people trashing me on this forum. It's tough when someone with a double digit IQ and a triple digit income tells me what is right and wrong, then tells me I am a criminal. Your opinion of me does not concern me in the least bit. Your defintion of a criminal is black and white, when life is and has always been shades of grey. IMO your just another sheep, awaiting your turn to die. Bahhhh.

I bet your long post was amazing until it was deleted. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Last edited:
habit50 said:
27 year old male, no CRIMINAL history, ... high paying job (read: higher tax bracket so they can suck more money from me),
I don't pretend to know anything about cars other than how to drive them and properly insure them, so I'll stay out of the water in the engine debate. However, I have to ask, if you have such a high-paying job, why couldn't you pay for collision insurance? That's not exactly the kind of thing you should skimp on. Or did you spend all your money on spinning rims? :p

If you have so much going for you, and it sounds like you at least think you do, why on Earth would you risk it all by committing fraud?

And you call us the "dumbasses"????

Look, you came here for advice and you got it. Were we hard on you? Yes! As we should have been. You even initially mentioned that you were getting what you deserved. I'm sure your friends told you how stupid what you did was. Why are you so surprised that we would do the same?

For your sake, I hope you get that slap on the wrist you're anticipating. Based on your obvious remorse over your actions, I'm sure that this incident was a lesson learned and you won't do it again :rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

Most felony charges don't come with a "slap on the wrist". Maybe he can plea it down to misdemeanor insurance fraud, but guess what is almost certainly going to be part of that package? One hefty fine, plus payment for the insurance company's investigation and attorney's fees. Probably quite a bit more than the premium for collision would have been.

And since our poster is such a car expert, he might want to read up on the symptoms of a blown head gasket if he'd like to know how coolant and oil can mix.

divgradcurl

Since you are such an automotive expert I'm sure you already know this, but just for the record, the rev limiter only keeps your engine from overrevving if you keep your foot in the throttle -- it does NOTHING to keep the engine from overrevving when you try and powershift from 3 to 4 and end up in 2 instead, or blow the downshift so that your engine mechanically overrevs -- that's how these BMW engines get blown up -- they overrev, float the valves, and when the pistons hit the valves, they break the heads -- that's where the oil and water mixes. You may want to do some research on the BMW boards.

That's it for my mechanical sidebar. Legally, I'm siding with You Are Guilty and stevenk...

stephenk

habit50 said:

I am an attorney not a claims adjuster. The car engine was blown out due to racing. Water was found within the engine compartment mixed with oil. There is also evidence of high revving damage to the engine that is inconsistent with stalling in a flooded intersection. The insured is trying to claim the engine suffered water damage when he stalled in a flooded intersection. His story does not result in the damage and oil and water mixture within the engine.

Damage caused by racing is not covered. Damage from flooding is covered.

Is he lying? I believe so. he has let his son use the car and drive it into the ground. unfortunately, dad is the one who is going to face me and the evidence of fraud.

Insurance companies screwing people out of claims does not give you the excuse to do the same to the carrier. Plus, your false claim makes other people's insurance rates go up.

You Are Guilty

Stephen,

A little off topic, but I know that at a minimum, the E46 M3s have a "black box" which records a variety of info from various sensors, the tach being one. (It records the max revs reached, their duration, and a bunch more). My "sources" tell me BMW uses it to disclaim warranty coverage. I do not know how accessible it is outside BMW shops, but it might be something to look into for your case - makes for a great cross-exam. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">