• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bully Boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goudella

I started a job in August 2000. The manager clearly discriminated against the women in my training (3 weeks, 8 hours/day.) I reported this to a 3rd part HR place. At least 4 other women complained also. The company did nothing. I was told they were investigating and should call back in 14 days. I was told this FIVE times. Since then, he has made several comments regarding becoming pregnant. One day while he was on the road with me (no witnesses), he told me another woman in our department was pregnant. He told me he found out by another employee because this woman was too afraid to tell him. Then he said to me, "If you tell me you're pregnant, we are going to have words." Later that day I felt sick and his comment was "You better not be pregnant!" He has made other comments, too. I just don't know if I have any legal grounds to do anything. I was given call back dates every time I called the HR place and nothing was done. Well after these pregnancy comments, I told them I sought legal council and was advised his comments were illegal and that their response time was unacceptable. Not until I did that did they seem to do anything. The problem now is I reported the pregnancy comments. I am so afraid that he knows I reported him (this 3rd part HR is supposed to allow you to stay annonymous so there won't be retaliation.) I feel I will never move ahead now considering he does my reviews. Even worse, I could be fired. I feel I have to leave my job which means I have to give up my future with this company. I will also lose any commissions I may have made (I'm in sales.) Do I have a case?

ALawyer

Yes -- this shows a pattern of harrassment and would be actionable. Retailiating aganist you for having complained to your management would also be actionable.

The issue is the remedy. If this was an isolated incident little could be done -- but if it is part of a broad pattern, particularly at the company or a large office, an employment lawyer would love it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">