• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I been had?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkahlona

What is the name of your state? NY

Have I been had?

My 20 year old son was driving his car (under my registration & insurance) when the passenger side mirror was knocked off by a driver who did not look as she opened her door. She told him to call her on Thursday and she would tell him to go to her mechanic who would put back the mirror for $20 (she claimed she had a similar incident and only paid $20). He did not exchange insurance info, but got her license (out of state) and phone number (a NY area code--reverse lookup on Verizon.com showed no listing). I told him to take the car to our mechanic for an estimate. Not knowing if this person was legitimate, I went on and paid for the mirror. The mechanic did try to save me money, but a new mirror was needed, plus a paint job for the mirror to match the car's color, plus labor totalling approx. $200.00. When my son called this woman on Sunday, she reprimanded him for not calling her on Thursday as she directed, and refused to pay when he gave her the sum. I then phoned her immediately and explained that my son was a minor, I was the owner and the insured, and it was my decision to repair the car and submit a bill to her. This woman declared that I was trying to steal her money.."It doesn't cost that much to put on a mirror"...and told me not to call her anymore. I know I'm in a no-fault state (NY). Was I to follow her terms and let her "mechanic" glue it on or whatever he was going to do risking it might fall off at another time, or did I have the prerogative to repair my car and submit a bill?

There was no padding the bill. I have a bank withdrawal and credit card slip to prove my expenses. What is my recourse with this woman? Two years ago, my shopping cart "escaped" and I had to pay $140 to put on someone's mirror, and I was there in the presence of the victim and her mechanic when I was given the cost. I never thought of disputing the cost and refusing to pay.

Last edited:

BL

dkahlona said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Have I been had?

My 20 year old son was driving his car (under my registration & insurance) when the passenger side mirror was knocked off by a driver who did not look as she opened her door. She told him to call her on Thursday and she would tell him to go to her mechanic who would put back the mirror for $20 (she claimed she had a similar incident and only paid $20). He did not exchange insurance info, but got her license (out of state) and phone number (a NY area code--reverse lookup on Verizon.com showed no listing). I told him to take the car to our mechanic for an estimate. Not knowing if this person was legitimate, I went on and paid for the mirror. The mechanic did try to save me money, but a new mirror was needed, plus a paint job for the mirror to match the car's color, plus labor totalling approx. $200.00. When my son called this woman on Sunday, she reprimanded him for not calling her on Thursday as she directed, and refused to pay when he gave her the sum. I then phoned her immediately and explained that my son was a minor, I was the owner and the insured, and it was my decision to repair the car and submit a bill to her. This woman declared that I was trying to steal her money.."It doesn't cost that much to put on a mirror"...and told me not to call her anymore. I know I'm in a no-fault state (NY). Was I to follow her terms and let her "mechanic" glue it on or whatever he was going to do risking it might fall off at another time, or did I have the prerogative to repair my car and submit a bill?

There was no padding the bill. I have a bank withdrawal and credit card slip to prove my expenses. What is my recourse with this woman? Two years ago, my shopping cart "escaped" and I had to pay $140 to put on someone's mirror, and I was there in the presence of the victim and her mechanic when I was given the cost. I never thought of disputing the cost and refusing to pay.
First ,your Son is NOT considered a Minor at 20 years old .

Your recourses ? How are you going to file claim , if you do not have this women's address ?

Choke this one up on an expensive learning experience for your 20 yr. old Son .

Next time Get the Info ., and especially If they have out of State Plates , call the Police for a Report to be taken .

BTW , what was your Ins. Co.'s response on your Collision claim ?

dkahlona

BTW, I have not filed this with the insurance company and I won't. I have a $500 deductible. I will pursue locating this person through whatever means necessary. Then I will take her to SMC. I am sure that when I attach a name to the plates, and get the info on registration, I can do a lot more. For all I know this idiot isn't even insured. Dealer's tag on the front plate; NC plates on the rear? Hmm. The bottom line is that was my car, in my name, and under my insurance. Either I eat the cost or she does. My son has learned a valuable lesson about the larceny in man(woman)kind, first-hand. He's not a street wise kid. He does think that there are grown folks in the world, even in NYC, who do the right thing most of the time...as he has been taught to do. Grown ups are such peachie people. And to think that is why wars between ethnic groups and nations never end.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">