• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ANY ins. that covers rain water?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keniz138

What is the name of your state? RI

In recent 5 inch rain storm, got water in my basement, ruining carpet, etc...
Called ins. co and they said that rain water runoff was NOT covered in my policy. I called my agent and she said that not even flood insurance would have covered this and it is in fact impossible to find any coverage from any company for my kind of situation...is that true?

seniorjudge

keniz138 said:
What is the name of your state? RI

In recent 5 inch rain storm, got water in my basement, ruining carpet, etc...
Called ins. co and they said that rain water runoff was NOT covered in my policy. I called my agent and she said that not even flood insurance would have covered this and it is in fact impossible to find any coverage from any company for my kind of situation...is that true?
Yes.

At least that has been MY experience.

(I am NOT an insurance agent, insurance lawyer, etc.)

Last edited:

Cosmot0731

Yep its pretty much true. Rain coming into your house by wind (wind driven rain) or wind blowing off some of the shingles or a tree coming down breaking a hole in your roof and rain getting in that way are some things that are usually covered. But overflow rain which is usually called surface drainage (rain overflowing from gutters, sewers, etc) or seeping through the basement walls are rarely covered and no flood insurance would not cover it either becuase a flood is usually considered an overflow of a body of water and usually has to affect more than one person.

Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">