• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations for townhouse problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kayl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
I purchased a townhouse in October 2000. I reported a problem with the garage door - the manager told me they fixed it. Even after that it never opened easily but they told me that's the way it was. In February 2003, I was told by handyman that the garage door was not installed correctly and he showed me what the problems were (missing bolts/drill holes also and the bottom handle was not installed). I contacted the builder (phone and in writing) and was given some excuse and told they would not fix the problem. In the meantime, my homeowners' association distributed a form to everyone to list all problems - which implied to me they would take care of my garage problem. Nothing happened. Based on the time frame (house purchased 10/00 and problem identified in 2/03) do I have any legal recourse at this point? Thank you.

HomeGuru

Kayl said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
I purchased a townhouse in October 2000. I reported a problem with the garage door - the manager told me they fixed it. Even after that it never opened easily but they told me that's the way it was. In February 2003, I was told by handyman that the garage door was not installed correctly and he showed me what the problems were (missing bolts/drill holes also and the bottom handle was not installed). I contacted the builder (phone and in writing) and was given some excuse and told they would not fix the problem. In the meantime, my homeowners' association distributed a form to everyone to list all problems - which implied to me they would take care of my garage problem. Nothing happened. Based on the time frame (house purchased 10/00 and problem identified in 2/03) do I have any legal recourse at this point? Thank you.

**A: yes you do. If this was a brand new building and the builder's warranty ran out or the sol expired, the HOA would then be responsible, provided that the door is a common area. Hire a garage door contractor.

Kayl

Reply to response

HomeGuru said:
**A: yes you do. If this was a brand new building and the builder's warranty ran out or the sol expired, the HOA would then be responsible, provided that the door is a common area. Hire a garage door contractor.
It is a brand new building, the warranty was only one year, and the garage door is part of my unit (townhouse). It is not a common area. Do I have any recourse at this point?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">