• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consumer Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steelie Steve

I live in Washington state (Vancouver Washington). My question is a real interesting one that I have never heard of.

I went in to an auto dealership to purchase a new vehicle. As a part of the purchase I intend to trade in my older vehicle. During the process, I give the dealer the keys to my trade in vehicle for them to appraise for trade-in value. About 10 minutes later, the salesman and a manager come to me and ask me to follow them to the service department. During their "test drive" of the vehicle, the engine blows out and is now pouring oil. To date there have been now serious problems with the vehicle. All services have been kept up.

Now my questions. First, my vehicle is now worth significantly less than it was when I first entered the dealership. What kind of rights do I have at this point. Am I just out that value?

What kind of options do I have at this point? I am not out to screw the dealership, but I also don't want to lose what little value I had.

Any opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JETX

Steelie Steve said:
What kind of rights do I have at this point.
You have no more, or less, 'rights' than normal.

Am I just out that value?
Unless you can show that the 'damage' (engine loss) was somehow due to THEIR actions.... yes. Just as if you had lent your car to a friend, or if you were driving, at the time.

hat kind of options do I have at this point?
Based solely on your post, not much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">