• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marybo

What is the name of your state?LA I am a nurse on workman's comp due to an injury on the workplace. I was put on light duty by the doctor but my employer says there is no light duty for nurses and sent me home. I have been home two weeks and now they say I will be terminated this week if I do not return...I used my FMLA for breast cancer earlier this year. Can one be terminated on workman's comp? Will the workman's comp benefits stop then? I am willing to do light duty and have told them so. Please advise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless there is a state law that specifically says otherwise (and I am not aware of any states that have such a law) yes, you can be terminated while on workers compensation. Your employer is not obligated to hold your job open for you indefinitely and if you have already used up all your FMLA, they do not have to offer you still more medical leave.

It will not in any way affect your workers comp benefits.

Again, unless your state law says otherwise, they are not obligated to create a light duty job for you if they do not have any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">