• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

renter/landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Knoll2029

My landlord asked me and roommates to move out one month early in return she would give us back of complete deposit. She let only one of us use the promised money towards the last months rent and and only gave $50 out of the $193.75 she owed each of the rest of us. She said she withheld the money to have the ducts cleaned because we had cats in the house. She had told us that this haden't been done in over ten years. She knew about the cats and said that it was fine. She also stated that she used the money for the last water bill which we had agreed that she would send it to me and she never did. Can we take her to court and if so would small claims be the court to go to?

ALawyer

By all means take her to small claims court; she is plain wrong (although deducting the water bill is probably smart). But be aware she'll bad mouth you and tell any other landlords who call for references.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">