• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the terror of roommates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

salamandak

What is the name of your state? Montana

Last May i borrowed my roommates snowshoes to go back country skiing and they got stolen out of the back of my car. So i told my roommates and they said no big deal because they were old anyways. but now that they just moved out they are threatening me and saying that i owe them 300 dollars by this friday or they are going to press charges against me. i don't know what to do - because i don't have any money to give them. i was just wondering if they even have a case against me. it's all he said she said because there are no snow shoes. but it sounds like they are going to tell
the police that i stole them, out of the storage shed they gave me the key to. i just don't know what to do. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

salamandak said:
i just don't know what to do.
Gee.... let me help you:
1) Don't do anything. They could file a criminal complaint against you... but if you were given permission to use them (as you claim), the complaint should 'die' pretty quickly. Of course, the other side to this option is that they could file a civil lawsuit against you..... and you will have the opportunity to present your defense in court.

2) Repay them a 'reasonable' amount for your 'losing' their property while under your control. That 'reasonable' can be anywhere from a depreciated value (at the time of the loss) up to any amount they demand. The same 'second' side here.... is that you could be sued if you don't pay.

Now, which are you going to do???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">