• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

daughter witnessed friend on bike hit by car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lee92211

What is the name of your state?california

my 11 year old & her best friend were riding their bikes to school and her friend was hit by a driver exiting an apartment driveway. This apt complex sits about 200 feet from the elementary school (a vacant field between). My daughter saw car approaching sidewalk and noticed the driver was looking the other way for oncoming traffic to make a right turn. My daughter passed the car and immediately turned around to see the driver, still looking for oncoming traffic, accelerate & hit her friend , breaking handlebar off bike and throwing her friend into the street. Her friend was dazed, but alert enough to immediately jump out of path of oncoming traffic. She was scraped up and shaken, actually both girls were. The driver who hit her was of course shaken, but she left before i or the girls mother could even arrive at site (within 15 minutes). She said she would replace the bike, but never did, never called to check on condition of girl and has filed a claim on her insurance to repair her car. This happend back in February - they offered a settlement of $500.00 - I have a few problems with this
1. Girl has no medical insurance - her mother took her to a urgent care center- everything physically ok. but her daughter says she does not want to ride bikes anymore and has to pass by the scene for 2 more years everyday she goes to school. My daughter was more affected by the "sound" of the collision and worries about all the children that must pass by this driveway so close to the school. The girl also asked her mother why the lady never even called or replaced her bike, asking "is this something everyone goes through in childhood"

This errant driver has affected 2 lives with her careless behavior and non-challent attitude of a life altering incident. I advised my friend to tell the adjuster that she should be paid $4,500 - is this outrageous in comparison to the long term affects of this incident?

BelizeBreeze

lee92211 said:
What is the name of your state?california

my 11 year old & her best friend were riding their bikes to school and her friend was hit by a driver exiting an apartment driveway. This apt complex sits about 200 feet from the elementary school (a vacant field between). My daughter saw car approaching sidewalk and noticed the driver was looking the other way for oncoming traffic to make a right turn. My daughter passed the car and immediately turned around to see the driver, still looking for oncoming traffic, accelerate & hit her friend , breaking handlebar off bike and throwing her friend into the street. Her friend was dazed, but alert enough to immediately jump out of path of oncoming traffic. She was scraped up and shaken, actually both girls were. The driver who hit her was of course shaken, but she left before i or the girls mother could even arrive at site (within 15 minutes). She said she would replace the bike, but never did, never called to check on condition of girl and has filed a claim on her insurance to repair her car. This happend back in February - they offered a settlement of $500.00 - I have a few problems with this
1. Girl has no medical insurance - her mother took her to a urgent care center- everything physically ok. but her daughter says she does not want to ride bikes anymore and has to pass by the scene for 2 more years everyday she goes to school. My daughter was more affected by the "sound" of the collision and worries about all the children that must pass by this driveway so close to the school. The girl also asked her mother why the lady never even called or replaced her bike, asking "is this something everyone goes through in childhood"

This errant driver has affected 2 lives with her careless behavior and non-challent attitude of a life altering incident. I advised my friend to tell the adjuster that she should be paid $4,500 - is this outrageous in comparison to the long term affects of this incident?
and have you called the police and filed a hit and run report?

JETX

lee92211 said:
I advised my friend to tell the adjuster that she should be paid $4,500 - is this outrageous in comparison to the long term affects of this incident?
Absolutely. Though I certainly don't condone this driver, I find it interesting that you have 'forgotten' to tell us the rest of this 'story' about this driver backing up. For example, where is the OBLIGATION for your daughter and her friend to be aware of THEIR surroundings?? Why didn't THEY notice this driver backing up??

I have some other 'concerns' about your post as well, starting with why are you butting into this 'issue' at all?? Your daughter suffered no injuries. You should start by TEACHING your child that she has a responsibility to drive her bike responsibly.

This other childs mother should very gladly take whatever they offer.... and run laughing to the bank. They owe her nothing.... and even less if she were to turn their offer down and try to pursue in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">