• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What To Do Here

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vwwaves

What is the name of your state? Florida

I own a business, it is a small business however it is growing.

Currently for the work I can't get to myself, I sub-contract it out. Sub-contractors arn't cheap so I want to hire an employee, because I figure that it will be cheaper plus I can assign the employee to other duties as well.

The problem I am facing is that no one will sell me workers comp. I can't find it anywhere. They all say they will not sell for just one employee. I will say that one place seemed hopeful, but I need to pay the employee over 50k per/year for them to write it. Part of the employees job description will be travel and outside duties. Say he gets in an accident, gets hurt, and I don't have workers comp then I'm up a creek.. I doubt a jury is going to side with me just because no one would sell it, and legally I can't have an employee waive his workers comp rights.

What are my options here? I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Beth3

Have you spoken to a business insurance agent? Your specific problem is outside my area of expertise, having always worked for much larger companies, but there must be some solution to your dilemma which is one many other very small employers will have encountered. Perhaps a general business liability insurance policy of some sort?

vwwaves

thx for the responce. biz insurence agents are who I have been dealing with to no avail.

someone suggested making the employee a director, because only directors and owners can waive worker comp rights. is that true? Is that even a real option? sounds fishy to me.

Not sure if I want to give shares of my company away anyways.. But if I have no other choice..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">