• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ts17c134

I moved into my apartment in August and my boyfriend and I signed a one year lease. My boyfriend was put in jail and I couldnt afford the rent alone. I called the landlord and explained the situation. He told me that if I could be out that weekend, he would return my $900 security deposit as soon as the apartment was re-rented. I kept in contact with him for a couple weeks but now he will not return any of my phone calls. I have a witness that heard him tell me he would return my money but I'm not sure what legal action I can take. There was nothing in the lease about breaking it. The only mention is that if rent is more than 10 days late there is a $50 fee. My boyfriend told me to tell him that if he didnt return the money I was going to move back in since its so hard to evict people. I dont want to go that route but I really need this money back. I am a single mom trying to give my daughter a nice christmas. Also, we cleaned and painted the apartment. The landlord said he was going to compensate us for that and never did. Could that be added to a small claims case? Do I have any chance of seeing this money?

ALawyer

You should have got his oral promise in writing, but why not take a chance and sue him in Small Calims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">