• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brian123

What is the name of your state? MA

I was involved in a 4 car pile up in March of 2004. The damage to the vehicle ahead of me was about $500, which is equal to my deductible. I chose to have a hearing and hope to just pay the money out of my pocket rather than involve the insurance company so that my rate doesn't go up. (At least I think that's what will happen).

It's now been 19 months and I still haven't had my day yet. However, within a few days of the accident the insurance company began charging me at the higher rate. It's obviously in their interest to drag this out as long as possible since if I win they have to reimburse the money charged at the higher rate. Can they legally charge me before I've been proven right or wrong? Isn't that like being considered guilty until proven innocent?

racer72

I have never heard of a deductible applied to liability coverage, usually it only applies to collision and comprehensive. What is your insurance company, Mutual of Maynard?

brian123

MetLife.

I'm not really sure what the deductible goes to but I was told by someone in the claims department to do this.

My question is really: Can they penalize me and bill me before the outcome has been decided? If so, then they probably could care less if the hearing ever happens. This situation seems to be in their favor.

brian123 said:
MetLife.

I'm not really sure what the deductible goes to but I was told by someone in the claims department to do this.

My question is really: Can they penalize me and bill me before the outcome has been decided? If so, then they probably could care less if the hearing ever happens. This situation seems to be in their favor.
I also don't understand what the heck your carrier is doing. Do you have an agent you can discuss this with? It doesn't make sense.

divgradcurl

brian123 said:
MetLife.

I think you are confusing things here. The insurance company likely raised your rates because, based on THEIR criteria, YOU were at fault, or at least partially at fault. Whether or not the STATE finds you partially or wholly at fault is really irrelevant to the insurance company -- you rates are based on THEIR analysis of your risk, not on whether or not you are legally at fault in this accident. It would be perfectly reasonable for you to be found "not guilty" or "not liable" for the accident by the state, yet have the insurance company find you liable. The reverse is also possible.

The insurance company is under no obligation to wait for you to have your hearing, and is under no obligation to take the results of the hearing into consideration when setting your rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">