• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

uninsured motorist coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smoore33544

What is the name of your state?Florida

I was in a bad car accident caused by negligent driving (driver was cited) by a commercial tow truck driver. my own PIP is maxed out and we are billing my personal health insurance coverage. so far my medical expenses are over $100k. turns out the tow truck company let their insurance lapse and the insurance company claims no responsibility. other than pursuing the tow truck company directly, i understand we can access our own insurance (we have 100/300) unum. my questions are this: do we need an attorney to get these funds? do we have to pay back Cigna for what they've covered already from these funds? do they only pay outstanding medical costs?

thanks!
sandy

smoore33544 said:
What is the name of your state?Florida

I was in a bad car accident caused by negligent driving (driver was cited) by a commercial tow truck driver. my own PIP is maxed out and we are billing my personal health insurance coverage. so far my medical expenses are over $100k. turns out the tow truck company let their insurance lapse and the insurance company claims no responsibility. other than pursuing the tow truck company directly, i understand we can access our own insurance (we have 100/300) unum. my questions are this: do we need an attorney to get these funds? do we have to pay back Cigna for what they've covered already from these funds? do they only pay outstanding medical costs?

thanks!
sandy
Sandy,

File your claim through your agent or, if you're with a direct-writing company like Geico, call in your claim. You don't need an attorney for this portion. However, you should absolutely get an attorney and go after the tow truck company. Just because their insurance lapsed doesn't mean they don't have assets you can go after.

In answer to the last portion of your post, any money you recoup through your UM coverage should go to reimburse Cigna. Believe me, they'll find out you've collected and will be asking to be reimbursed at that time. You can't have two insurance companies paying the same bills.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">