• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feeling srcewed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Manderson75

Matthew Anderson
Waterbury Connecticut
Insurance provider - Allstate

My wife had a rental vehicle for a couple days this past week while hers was having some work done to it. She rented a truck because they were having a special on rental costs for thier "Gas Guzzlers" but offered no insurance coverage so we would have to use our own insurance for coverage. When she called and asked me for my input I told her that was fine, we are fully insured.
Well as luck would have it, a tree from a neighbors yard TWO driveways over fell over due to oversaturation from the 2 weeks of rain and flooding we have had in New England these last two weeks. The truck acually made it out of the mess fairly unharmed save for a large dent in the hood and a broken passanger side mirror. So we file a police report and call our insurance company and also Enterprise rentals. We are told by our insurance company that we have to pay a $500 deductable to Enterprise. Here is where I have an issue.

Why is this $500 coming out of my pocket? I do not own the tree, the truck or any bit of the land that the truck or tree are on. I am a renter, who has renters insurance. When I asked my insurance company they said its an "Act of God" and not the people who owns the trees responcibility but instead mine. Why would my insurance company refuse to communicate with the "tree owners" home owners insurance for the cost of my deductible. I was making a pot of coffee on a nice breezy Sunday morning not any where near the tree OR car of which neither belong to me and I HAVE TO PAY out of MY POCKET?

Do I truely have no recourse like my insurance company tells me other than shut my mouth smile and hand over the money I work hard for and penny pinch to save. I am very very disgruntled about this and feel like I am being held up and robbed.

Any suggestions even as to where to start?

Last edited:

Manderson75 said:
Matthew Anderson
Waterbury Connecticut
Insurance provider - Allstate

My wife had a rental vehicle for a couple days this past week while hers was having some work done to it. She rented a truck because they were having a special on rental costs for thier "Gas Guzzlers" but offered no insurance coverage so we would have to use our own insurance for coverage. When she called and asked me for my input I told her that was fine, we are fully insured.
Well as luck would have it, a tree from a neighbors yard TWO driveways over fell over due to oversaturation from the 2 weeks of rain and flooding we have had in New England these last two weeks. The truck acually made it out of the mess fairly unharmed save for a large dent in the hood and a broken passanger side mirror. So we file a police report and call our insurance company and also Enterprise rentals. We are told by our insurance company that we have to pay a $500 deductable to Enterprise. Here is where I have an issue.

Why is this $500 coming out of my pocket? I do not own the tree, the truck or any bit of the land that the truck or tree are on. I am a renter, who has renters insurance. When I asked my insurance company they said its an "Act of God" and not the people who owns the trees responcibility but instead mine. Why would my insurance company refuse to communicate with the "tree owners" home owners insurance for the cost of my deductible. I was making a pot of coffee on a nice breezy Sunday morning not any where near the tree OR car of which neither belong to me and I HAVE TO PAY out of MY POCKET?

Do I truely have no recourse like my insurance company tells me other than shut my mouth smile and hand over the money I work hard for and penny pinch to save. I am very very disgruntled about this and feel like I am being held up and robbed.

Any suggestions even as to where to start?
I am almost afraid to answer due to how upset you seem. However, your insurer is correct. Unless the tree were rotten and you could somehow prove that the neighbors knew it was rotten, you have no recourse here.

Conversely, if your neighbor's car had been struck by a tree on your property, it would not be your homeowner's responsibility to pay it.

You might want to considering lowering your deductibles so that when this type of thing happens, it's not as much out of pocket for you. I carry 100 comp, 250 collision. I pay a little more a year for lower deductibles, but a claim isn't going to put much of a dent in my wallet.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">