• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bill from department of transportation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laine12

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was in a car accident in february, road conditions were icy and snowy, and I slid into a guard rail. I only carry liability insurance, and the car was totaled, so I cancelled the registration and insurance and got myself a new car, never claiming the accident.

Today, I recieved a bill from Penn DOT for the cost of damages for replacing the guard rail ($3100!). I was not given a ticket for the accident, it was because of road conditions, can I still be held liable for the damages? Also, I didnt think I damaged the guard rail, do they have to prove I did? And last, assuming I'm liable, will my insurance cover this, as this car is no longer insured with them, though it was on the date of the accident, and I never filed anything about the accident? How much can I expect my insurance to go up if I do file, right now I get the 'good driver' discount?

Thanks in advance for your help!

laine12 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was in a car accident in february, road conditions were icy and snowy, and I slid into a guard rail. I only carry liability insurance, and the car was totaled, so I cancelled the registration and insurance and got myself a new car, never claiming the accident.

Today, I recieved a bill from Penn DOT for the cost of damages for replacing the guard rail ($3100!). I was not given a ticket for the accident, it was because of road conditions, can I still be held liable for the damages? Also, I didnt think I damaged the guard rail, do they have to prove I did? And last, assuming I'm liable, will my insurance cover this, as this car is no longer insured with them, though it was on the date of the accident, and I never filed anything about the accident? How much can I expect my insurance to go up if I do file, right now I get the 'good driver' discount?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Your old liability policy that was in force at the time of the accident covers you for property damage as well. File a claim with your old carrier.

I don't know the answer to the question you asked regarding whether or not they have to prove you did the damage. Maybe someone else on this forum can answer that for you...

I flipped a car on the PA Turnpike about 4 years ago and my insurance company had to pay about $2,000 to repair the guardrail. I didn't even realize I'd hit it, just like you.

I cannot tell you how much your premium will go up, but it will indeed go up. I don't have a crystal ball, so I cannot tell you by how much. The good driver discount is for having no claims, at fault and not at fault. Most people think that a not-at-fault claim will not affect their rates. If they're getting a discount for no claims, it will because they will lose the good driver discount.

Unless you're willing to pay this claim out-of-pocket, just file the claim and be done with it. Since it's liability, you won't have to pay a deductible either.

Good luck. :)

laine12

Insurance Lady, Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that my insurance should cover the damage. I know you can't tell me the exact amount my insurance will go up. Mostly I'm wondering if its worth making the claim and having it go up, if I'll end up paying more than 3000 dollars in increased premiums and such. Right now my insurance is pretty cheap, I only pay about 600 a year to insure two old volvos.

laine12 said:
Insurance Lady, Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that my insurance should cover the damage. I know you can't tell me the exact amount my insurance will go up. Mostly I'm wondering if its worth making the claim and having it go up, if I'll end up paying more than 3000 dollars in increased premiums and such. Right now my insurance is pretty cheap, I only pay about 600 a year to insure two old volvos.
Call your agent and ask him or her what your good driver credit is. From that, you should be able to get a fair picture of what you're premium increase will be. The accident is an at-fault accident, but some carriers forgive the first at-fault accident. Your insurance agent can advise you of that as well.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">