• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ok what now???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msorg

What is the name of your state?Florida
I was involved in a wreck 2 weeks ago where a truck turned in front of me I swerved to avoid him and hit someone else. The truck that turned in front of me was the only one issued a ticket(violation of right of way). At first his insurance company denied the claim and said they had no liability, however after telling them I was filing a small claims suit, and talking to the local television station investigative reporter, and the insurance comissioners office, they have come back and said they are looking at it again, and now believe they may be partially liable but I am also liable.(Comparative negligence). My question is if I settle will that make me liable to the party I hit or is that separate? I guess they figure I should have known better than to be on that road that day

msorg said:
What is the name of your state?Florida
I was involved in a wreck 2 weeks ago where a truck turned in front of me I swerved to avoid him and hit someone else. The truck that turned in front of me was the only one issued a ticket(violation of right of way). At first his insurance company denied the claim and said they had no liability, however after telling them I was filing a small claims suit, and talking to the local television station investigative reporter, and the insurance comissioners office, they have come back and said they are looking at it again, and now believe they may be partially liable but I am also liable.(Comparative negligence). My question is if I settle will that make me liable to the party I hit or is that separate? I guess they figure I should have known better than to be on that road that day
You are already liable for the car you swerved into. You are responsible for having your vehicle under control at all times. The other driver's claim should be paid by your insurance company, which can then subrogate to the trucker's insurance company if it chooses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">