• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolchica

First of all I live in Nebraska. I was in an accident a couple of months ago which I admit I was at fault. At the time I was driving my brothers car so the insurance for his car didn't cover me. I hit a guy and was told that his damages would probably be about $1000. Flash forward a couple months. I get a phone call from an insurance company saying that the man had filed a claim against me for over $2800. I have to take care of this or the state will revoke my license. In order to keep this from happening I have to come up with at least 35% of the claim, or over $900, money I don't have. I just started a new job and I know I won't have that kind of money ASAP like they want it. I have a 15 month old, I'm a 21 year old female, and this is the first time I've been in an accident or even been in any trouble. Is there anything I can do? I can't have a baby and be without a car or a license. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. When this happened to another friend of mine they only had to pay a monthly fee until they had paid it off, but the insurance guy made it sound like that's not even an option for me. I don't get it. I feel stuck. :(

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Sincerely,
coolchica

JETX

coolchica said:
Is there anything I can do?
Yep. You can pay and get this behind you.... (get a written release of all claims) or you can not pay and they can get a judgment against you and have your driving PRIVILEDGE suspended.

I can't have a baby and be without a car or a license.
Then why did you CHOOSE to get pregnant??
And why did you CHOOSE to drive a car without insurance??
And why did you CHOOSE to drive that car in such a manner as to have an accident??
Sounds like you have made several bad choices, huh??

Oh, and where is the childs father's assistance in this... either in child support (to help you pay) or in allowing him to take care of the child until you can be responsible???

I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.
Sounds like you need a reality check. You are not innocent in this.... as noted above. Why is it always someone elses fault or 'not fair' when YOU made the decisions that got you here??

coolchica said:
First of all I live in Nebraska. I was in an accident a couple of months ago which I admit I was at fault. At the time I was driving my brothers car so the insurance for his car didn't cover me.
Why wouldn't your brother's insurance pay? Were you driving the vehicle without permission? Did they find out you were living in the same household and didn't have your own insurance? I'm confused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">