• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apie1

What is the name of your state? IL

When purchasing auto insurance, aren't you suppose to let the insurance company know what what your actual driving record is even though when they pull up your driving record your dmv report says different? People I have asked at work say no, I believe otherwise. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

apie1 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

When purchasing auto insurance, aren't you suppose to let the insurance company know what what your actual driving record is even though when they pull up your driving record your dmv report says different? People I have asked at work say no, I believe otherwise. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
The insurance carrier is going to run your MVR and CLUE report anyway, so it doesn't matter. Is there a specific reason why you're asking? Is there something not on your MVR are that should be?

To get the most accurate advice, you should just explain the scenario. We'll be able to advise you better.

apie1

Well long story short, my cousin just purchased car insurance and the insurance company did pull is mvr report only to show that he had one ticket from 2004, but had recieved two tickets in 05' for being at fault for an accident. I stated to him that he should just tell the insurance company anyways because should he be involved in another accident, and they found out about it later on, he would not be covered. Others have told me they are going to find out anyways, but as I mentioned if they find out and he didnt say anything about it, he won't be covered. I feel it is better to be up front rather than sorry. Am I right?

apie1 said:
Well long story short, my cousin just purchased car insurance and the insurance company did pull is mvr report only to show that he had one ticket from 2004, but had recieved two tickets in 05' for being at fault for an accident. I stated to him that he should just tell the insurance company anyways because should he be involved in another accident, and they found out about it later on, he would not be covered. Others have told me they are going to find out anyways, but as I mentioned if they find out and he didnt say anything about it, he won't be covered. I feel it is better to be up front rather than sorry. Am I right?
Failure to disclose that he had two tickets in 2005 would not prevent a claim from being paid (although he might get dropped by them afterward). The violations just haven't shown up yet. They will catch up with him eventually. Depending on the carrier, they may drop him at that time (if the amount of tickets exceeds the threshhold they allow) or they may surcharge him. It really depends on the carrier.

JETX

apie1 said:
Sorry, we don't do homework... or hypothetical. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">