• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift law...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foxtrot_18

What is the name of your state? IL

Basically I helped my now ex gf out a lot. I am an idiot and spent way to much money. Including buying her a comp. I am positive she was cheating on me its part of why we broke up. I can't prove she was cheating other than being out with other guys. Basic point is.. We where on and off bf/gf, I wasn't going to go to her birthday party cause I was tired of her on/off stuff. She knew I had considered buying her a computer for her birthday. So couple days before her birthday she wanted to be bf/gf again. I came to the party gave her the comp. Then week later she breaks up again. We didn't get back together. I want nothing to do with her I just think she is a gold digger. I asked her to give me the comp back cause I think she just became my GF for that week to get me to buy it for her. Can I take her to court to get it back? I have tried talking to her and she said she keeping it. I have all the recipts, inlcuding one that they put my name on it. Is there anything I can legally do to get it back, or am I just out of luck? This girl got almost $2,000 worth of stuff from me, in month and half (ya I am stupid). Only thing I want back is the computer.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

foxtrot_18 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

Basically I helped my now ex gf out a lot. I am an idiot and spent way to much money. Including buying her a comp. I am positive she was cheating on me its part of why we broke up. I can't prove she was cheating other than being out with other guys. Basic point is.. We where on and off bf/gf, I wasn't going to go to her birthday party cause I was tired of her on/off stuff. She knew I had considered buying her a computer for her birthday. So couple days before her birthday she wanted to be bf/gf again. I came to the party gave her the comp. Then week later she breaks up again. We didn't get back together. I want nothing to do with her I just think she is a gold digger. I asked her to give me the comp back cause I think she just became my GF for that week to get me to buy it for her. Can I take her to court to get it back? I have tried talking to her and she said she keeping it. I have all the recipts, inlcuding one that they put my name on it. Is there anything I can legally do to get it back, or am I just out of luck? This girl got almost $2,000 worth of stuff from me, in month and half (ya I am stupid). Only thing I want back is the computer.

My response:

You can forget it. There are more reasons why, but one reason glaringly comes to mind - - you undoubtedly gave the computer to her on her birthday in front of other people/witnesses.

So, tuck your tail between your legs and move on.

IAAL

foxtrot_18

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You can forget it. There are more reasons why, but one reason glaringly comes to mind - - you undoubtedly gave the computer to her on her birthday in front of other people/witnesses.

So, tuck your tail between your legs and move on.

IAAL
Not sure if it makes much differnce. I actually took the computer there and hooked it up on a thurs. The birthday party was on sat. She was not even home yet. Her mom let me in. I just set it up. Was never wraped, no card etc.. Not opend with other gifts. Plus I don't ever remember actually saying "this is your birthday present" It was more of a implied thing. Since I show up with a comp and it couple days till the party. More like it was just known it was her gift with out me saying it.

foxtrot_18 said:
Not sure if it makes much differnce. I actually took the computer there and hooked it up on a thurs. The birthday party was on sat. She was not even home yet. Her mom let me in. I just set it up. Was never wraped, no card etc.. Not opend with other gifts. Plus I don't ever remember actually saying "this is your birthday present" It was more of a implied thing. Since I show up with a comp and it couple days till the party. More like it was just known it was her gift with out me saying it.
IAAL is correct. It doesn't matter if you gave it to her a week or a month before her birthday. You gave her a present, regardless of the tactics she used to get you to do that.

You got played. You know you did. Move on and don't let her use you again.

Ellerge

Computer

You are SOOL!
Call her up and tell her that you want to PAY for and hook up the Internet. You may have trouble that requires you to remove the case of the computer. If one of the pins on one of the 14 pin chips on the motherboard gets accidentaly bent, she will never find it. Offer to take the computer to the shop to get it repaired.

Say goodby!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">