• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure of my options if any at this point...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadez77

Hi, Washington state citizen here.

I was wondering if anyone might know if I have any options at this point and if so where I might start.

I was involved in an auto accident on 10/15/05. I was on a city street at a stop light, when the light turned green I made my far left turn. As I was making this turn the person just left to me in the left lane only proceeded to drive straight into me. I pulled off to the side of the road as he sat dumb struck in the middle of the intersection, as I got out of my car he took off up the road. I immediately got back in my car to track him down. I was able to pull behind him as he attempted to pull into his apartment building just up the road.

He admitted he had been drinking and was arguing with his girlfriend so he was distracted. He thought he was in the lane I was in, which allowed you to go straight or make a far left turn.

At this time I had not called the police. He was visibly shaken and was cooperative after he realized he was in the wrong. He agreed to pay for the damages, as he had no insurance. This was 1:30 am so I didn't want to hassle with paperwork and thought to just be nice as he was cooperating with me and willing to pay the damages (no injuries). He did cut me a check for $200.00 dollars on the spot to help with the damages and offered to pay the remaining amount once I provided estimate.

Next day I showed up at his house showed him the estimate for $3000.00 and he said he wanted to use his insurance? I scratched my head, well it was a company work van he was driving and they insured the vehicle. I said that would be fine, but I'm sure they will total out my car as it's old 1990 Toyota Camry (it's still drivable) and all I have.

Hope I haven't lost you yet, sorry for the lengthy message. Thanks for barring with me.

I asked if he would cover the remainder of the cost that the insurance company pays out for the total value. He agreed at first and now is claiming per his insurance adjuster "actually I don't have any liability beyond what the totaled out price for your car is".

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Do I have any legal rights at this point? Can I press charges? Or do I chalk this up as a life lesson learned? I did follow a police report the following day that states he did take off after the incident, but didn't mention the drinking. Thanks for the help and or comments.

jadez77 said:
I asked if he would cover the remainder of the cost that the insurance company pays out for the total value. He agreed at first and now is claiming per his insurance adjuster "actually I don't have any liability beyond what the totaled out price for your car is".

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Do I have any legal rights at this point? Can I press charges? Or do I chalk this up as a life lesson learned? I did follow a police report the following day that states he did take off after the incident, but didn't mention the drinking. Thanks for the help and or comments.
He is only liable for the value of your car, unless you also have medical bills, which you did not indicate you do.

You screwed up by not calling the police when the accident first happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">