• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog wet bed/need to know what's fair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstressed

What is the name of your state? FL

I have brought my small (8-10 lbs) 6 year old dog with me to my boyfriend's mother's house with me when I visit them for longer amounts of time sporadically for the past 2.5 years. I usually try to leave him at home but my boyfriend is usually insistent that I bring him along and since he is currently staying there with his mother it is his home too. For some reason beyond me, my dog out of nowhere peed on an expensive mattress (my boyfriend's mother's bed). He has never done anything like this before and since hasn't had any problems. If he were an accident-prone dog, I would have no doubt made appropriate arrangements for him. Well I apologized for it but before I could make any offers to have it cleaned, she told me she just needed a new mattress and there was really no other way around it. She went on to lecture me on responsibility (I'm 28 not 15) and that I owed her for what it will cost to buy the mattress again. The mattress wasn't very old and I do sympathize with her quite a bit - I'm just not sure that the accident was worth $1500 which was the cost of the mattress.

I have polled many of my friends and they feel the same way I do - that I do have a responsiblity to the situation but it is to pay damages. I don't know if she would take me to court over this but I am not ruling it out. My question is, what is fair and just in a case like this. I by no means want to shirk responsibilty but I really don't have $1500 to buy her a new mattress either.

Any legitamate thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited:

JETX

superstressed said:
what is fair and just in a case like this.
How about you offer to kill the mongrel if she signs a release?? :D
Seriously, how the hell do you expect us to answer that?? What is fair is whatever both of you agree to. If she is going to insist on $1500... that is fair to her.

You Are Guilty

--PARIDISE-- said:
LMAO! IAAL? Are you turning gay on us?
Must be my new cologne :D

OP: you got the legal answer. You and your mutt are responsible for the mattress. If it was a new $1500 mattress, you owe a new $1500 mattress. If it wasn't worth $1500, you owe the amount it was worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

superstressed said:
Any legitamate thoughts would be appreciated

My response:

Oh, now you're taking all the fun out of your post!

Okay, find out the lifespan of the mattress; e.g., 120 months. Then divide that number into the total cost of the mattress, including tax. Once you find the monthly "value" of the mattress, then subtract the amount of months she's been using it.

Also, subtract the value of any "stains" she may have caused - - you know what I mean.

She's only entitled to the reasonable, fair market value, of a used mattress of that make and model.

Then, when she figures out that she can't get a new mattress and won't hear your argument that you're not paying for her previous usage, plan on finding a new boyfriend, because you won't be allowed in her house any more.

IAAL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">