• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaysgirl06

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My son was crossing in a crosswalk on his bike at the beginning of September...He was hit by a car and the driver took off--thankfully, a good-hearted person witnessed everything and got info to turn her into the police...My son does not have any lasting injuries but the driver's insurance company has given me a settlement for the emergency room bill, the ambulance bill and something for my son's bumps and bruises...I'm a single mom and I have health insurance for my son that I've been paying for the last 10-11 years (he's now 15) so my insurance company took care of the emergency room bill but I still have to pay the copay and they didn't pay the ambulance bill since it's considered Out of Network...When I got the settlement, his father's name was on the check also---unfortunately, I don't know why since we're not married and I'm the one who maintains the insurance...Since we both need to endorse the check for me to pay the bills that are left, I can't get him to do that because he wants me to put the money in an account for our son and give him access to it...I'm silly but I'm not stupid...I have already asked him more than once to endorse it so I could get the bills paid (I've already received the second notice from the ambulance company) but he's now telling me his attorney told him that by not putting the money in the bank in our son's name, I'm committing a crime...First off, would I be committing a crime if I didn't put it in my son's name (the insurance company told me the money was for me except for the amount for my son) and is there any way to get around him not wanting to endorse it so I can get the bills paid??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">