• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bustedknuckles

What is the name of your state? NC

I recently sold a car to a local resident through a popular website. The buyer came out and looked the car over and wanted to buy it. At the time of the sale the car was in need of mechanical repairs. I offered my opinion on what the problems may be but also said multiple times that I could not be for sure and that it would need a mechanic to look at it. The buyer agreed to the price of $600.00 and I offered to tow the car to a local garage. I recieved payment for the car and dropped it off a the garage. After a week or so I got a call from the buyer saying that the car was going to need major work to the engine. The buyer then asked me to refund the money. At the time I was unsure if this was a good idea or not and told the buyer I would need to discuss this matter with my spouse first. After some talking and consideration we felt that we could not refund the buyer's money due to financial obligations.

It's always been my understanding that when a car is sold "as is", especially on an old used car that is not running right to begin with that the sale is final. The buyer has sent me a certified letter requesting the sale price to be refunded. Do I have any legal obligation to refund the money.

At no time did I ever advertise or mislead the buyer. I gave my honest opinion about what I thought it would take to get the vehicle going. I also restated over and over again that I couldn't be for sure to the extent of the repairs/cost and clearly said that the car is "as is".

Should I be concerned and should I consider a lawer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BL

bustedknuckles said:
What is the name of your state? NC

I recently sold a car to a local resident through a popular website. The buyer came out and looked the car over and wanted to buy it. At the time of the sale the car was in need of mechanical repairs. I offered my opinion on what the problems may be but also said multiple times that I could not be for sure and that it would need a mechanic to look at it. The buyer agreed to the price of $600.00 and I offered to tow the car to a local garage. I recieved payment for the car and dropped it off a the garage. After a week or so I got a call from the buyer saying that the car was going to need major work to the engine. The buyer then asked me to refund the money. At the time I was unsure if this was a good idea or not and told the buyer I would need to discuss this matter with my spouse first. After some talking and consideration we felt that we could not refund the buyer's money due to financial obligations.

It's always been my understanding that when a car is sold "as is", especially on an old used car that is not running right to begin with that the sale is final. The buyer has sent me a certified letter requesting the sale price to be refunded. Do I have any legal obligation to refund the money.

At no time did I ever advertise or mislead the buyer. I gave my honest opinion about what I thought it would take to get the vehicle going. I also restated over and over again that I couldn't be for sure to the extent of the repairs/cost and clearly said that the car is "as is".

Should I be concerned and should I consider a lawer?

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you are sued , just show up in Court and State what you said here ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">