• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cool Off law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richardlluke

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I bought a used car from a dealership 2 days ago and I am wondering if I can return it and have the contract canceled. It has some problems that where not discussed or told to me, though the dealership is willing to fix them. I would still like to return it if I can.
Any information on if this is possible in the North Charleston, South Carolina would be appreciated.

cooling off period?

In general, racer is correct about returning a vehicle under the "cooling off" period.

The only exception is the FTC's "Cooling Off Rule", which applies to sales of $25 or more WHICH ARE MADE AWAY FROM THE SELLERS PLACE OF BUSINESS>

This would apply, if, for instance, the salesperson brought the vehicle to your home and you signed the contract at your home (ie, away from the sellers place of business).

Last edited:

dallas702

Yeah, kinda like one of those $2000 vacuum cleaners no one would dream of buying if they hadn't been home nursing their 12th beer. ;)

"....but judge...it SUCKS!" "Yeah, that's what you wanted" says da judge.

racer72

cjbrown929 said:
In general, racer is correct about returning a vehicle under the "cooling off" period.

The only exception is the FTC's "Cooling Off Rule", which applies to sales of $25 or more WHICH ARE MADE AWAY FROM THE SELLERS PLACE OF BUSINESS>

This would apply, if, for instance, the salesperson brought the vehicle to your home and you signed the contract at your home (ie, away from the sellers place of business).

Door to door used car salesman? The above does not apply if you called the dealer initiating the deal.

dallas702

I can see it now: "Hi! I'm here from Acme Car Sales to make your day. May I come in? Oh, what a lovely home. Wait 'till you see our new line of...."

Oh yeah.

door to door car salesmen

As hard as it may be to believe, as salespeople for a smaller toyota/nissan/hyundai dealership, we were STRONGLY encouraged to contact previous buyers, and yes, to even take a vehicle to THEM if they showed reluctance to visit the dealership. If a deal was made off the lot (and many were), and the contract was signed off the lot, the 3 day rule applied (as long as the car cost was $25 or more). It was extremely rare for anyone to make a timely claim under the rule.

An example would be, say, a grandparent who purchases a vehicle for their grandkid without ever visiting the lot or initiating the sale.

My point was just to point out a rare exception to the norm, not a big deal. Racers advice was rock solid in this case.

Last edited:

dallas702

CJ, you're my kinda salesman. Would you run one of those new Siennas over to me to test drive for a few days? Vegas is great this time of year. ;)

why not?

We used to get sales calls on our 800 line from everywhere except alaska and hawaii. We have driven vehicles to nevada or arizona many times for delivery in another state. One time I was "forced" to drive a late model Lexus 400 (motorized headrests!) to Palm Springs for a doctors inspection. The delivery, for tax and licensing reasons, must take place outside of california.

Obviously, the deal would have to be DONE, no "lookie loos"

What options did you want on your Sienna?

Last edited:

dallas702

You're so accomodating. How about delivery in OR where I can use my address up there to avoid sales tax, smog, and get a 2-4 year tag for $35.

I don't like those motorized doors...problems just waiting to happen. And, no DVD/TV. When I travel I want my grandchildren to enjoy the scenery, or read, or talk to us rather than being mesmerized by Looney Tunes (now I know why they call them that).

Do you take Wizard money?

wizard $?

Not familiar with wizard cash. Is there a picture of Harry Potter on it?

If you ARE interested, I can get you a quote on a Sienna, no bs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">