• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dangerous car/is this a good case and a crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginmariek

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I bought a used car for $4,100.00 from a used car dealer. I acknowledged and signed a document that the vehicle was reconstructed (totaled and then fixed). However, I think that dealers still have to, by law, sell cars in good condition to the best of their knowledge. There were some things wrong with it when I bought it, and on the bill of sale, the seller promised to fix those things. It needed a steering gear, alignment, emergency brakes adjustment, and a fuel guage. Further, I was given a 90 day, 3,000 mile warranty. The business was shut down shortly thereafter, and then I found out that the owner was just a kid (whom I had not met, but he signed the paperwork), who lived with his mom and dad, and they own a mortgage credit company and helped finance the failed used car business venture. The car was not registed or titled by the dealer, and I had to beg for the money, which was then given to me by check, then change all four brakes, which were completely worn and dangerous, there is an illegal inspection sticker on the car, which is now falling off, and when I begged for reimbursement for the brakes, the boy's mother gave me the money in the form of a company check from the mortgage company his parent's own, and I signed a receipt of payment which stated: " I, "my name", acknowledge receipt of $111 dollars for the brakes. Further payments will be decided." I have a signed copy of this. The family (father, son, and mother) are now telling me to sue them. Do I have a case? They said that since I threatened to sue them, which I did, that they did not have to pay me anything, but they told me to not call them, and to sue them. Also, the bill of sale acknowledges work owed on the vehicle, so is this also a crime that I was sold a defective vehicle knowingly by the dealer? Also, pertinent to that question, is that I've been told that since the steering gear is defective, that the air bag is positioned incorrectly, and that if it deployed it would probably kill me (isn't that wonderful?) Of course I did not know this at the time of sale. The steering gear needs to be replaced, the fuel gauge is not replaced, and the emergency brake needs to be fixed. I had to title the vehicle myself and replace brake pads and roters all the way around on the vehicle. They did eventually reimburse me for title, registration, tags, taxes, and the brakes and roters I bought. Also, since the mother paid for the brakes, and gave me a receipt acknowledging that future payments would be decided, can I take all three of them to court? Should I report this to the authorities?

ginmariek

Update: WV State Attorney General gave me the number for a state program called the Dealer Recovery Fund. They will go after the people for me. Also, when I notified the shop that inspected the car that it was placed on there illegally, they volunteered to fix the stuff wrong with my car. I think they thought I was hinting that I would report them to the State Police, who would then suspend their vehicle inspection license. So--at least I won't be driving a dangerous vehicle, or have the headache of personally suing the dealer in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">