• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident reports and small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xilef

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

Hi I was involved in an accident almost 1year ago. I filed in small claims back in April of this year. After the defendant filed a motion for continuance and we finally gotten to Pre-trial hearing, she "agreed" to a stipulated judgement of settlement. The terms was a reasonable 200dollars a month for 6 months starting July 1-2005 to pay off the damages. Will she failed to honor that agreement. Now after the defendant has talked to various lawyers and drag her feet thru the proccess, I have to re-ask the court for trial date to procceed to trial to submit my evidence aganist her in front of the judge.

I have 3 questions for anybody that has went thru this in Florida;

1> are accident reports conducted by my local sheriff dept allowed as evidence in a small claims court? She made a incriminating statement that "she wasn't aware of the color of the traffic signal when she slammed into my car". That's statement was made to the Officer conducting the report and written in the report. No citation was issued to either of us. If reports are not readily admissible , what can I do to make it amissible?

2> Can the officer who handle the report, be subpeona to testify in these matters?

3> what's the best way to procceed in this matter? Can I use the defendant lack of following the stipulation of settling this matter aganist her and her changing of her mind and her non compliance in following the terms? My thoughts on this issue are; she admit fault when she agreed "at one time" to settle outside of trial. if she felt that she was liable, she would never have agreed to settle.

Any help or insight in this matter would be nice. Her insurance company ( allstate ) don't want to hold her liable due to NO citation issued and based on here say, her statement to her insurance 72hours after the accident and after she had time to think about it, was that the light was green changing to yellow when she blasted thru the insection slamming into my vehicle bumper.

help!

JETX

xilef said:
are accident reports conducted by my local sheriff dept allowed as evidence in a small claims court?
Depends ENTIRELY on the whim of the court. You need to subpoena the officer to appear and give testimony.

Can the officer who handle the report, be subpeona to testify in these matters?
See above.

xilef

Thanks, one more question can I requets the officer signed and date a affidavit of the information that he placed in his report that the "other driver" stated she did not know the color of the light at the time of the accident? This save him time vrs showing up at the court from a subpoena being issued.

JETX

xilef said:
Thanks, one more question can I requets the officer signed and date a affidavit of the information that he placed in his report that the "other driver" stated she did not know the color of the light at the time of the accident? This save him time vrs showing up at the court from a subpoena being issued.
Of course you can ASK him to. And of course, he has no obligation to do so. And of course, even if he does, there is no obligation for the court to accept his written statement.
So, get him in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">