• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was hit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelled

What is the name of your state? ny

On April 23rd, 2005 as I got off a bus to walk home from work, as I crossed the street with many others whom had also gotten off the bus, I looked both ways and saw no incoming traffic to my right. The light was red so I was not too worried, but out of no where, I saw a flash of light and went face down into the hard, cold pavement. It took a good minute for me to realize what had, happened, and to my horror I heard people screaming and simply saw a bright light. I was all twisted around, a man ran to my aid and simply asked me not to move or try to get up as I had just been hit by a black SUV. My leg was flapping around, and I was a bit confused as well. When I got to the hospital I found out that my right leg was broken right below the knee(tibia and fibula) my lips were cut, my forehead was bleeding, the fingers on my left hand had been bruise so bad that even 6 months later the lumps won't go down or dissolve, my right shoulder was sprained, and the upper thigh, where I took the actual hit still hurts and was black and blue for about 2 weeks after the accident. I now get headaches, suffer anxiety, trouble sleeping and memory loss.
I had 2 operations the next day and a 3rd one on September 7th, 2005. I needed bone graft and it is now 6 months later and I still suffer a lot of pain on my leg, still can't walk and uses my crutches and the recovery process have been very slow. I'm still under the surgeon's care and will remain under his care for sometime as I am still unable to walk.
The only reason that I believe the man behind the wheels stopped was because the impact was so hard that the vehicle broke down and would not start(stated in the police report). He had insurance but no license, as the report stated even though a license number was stated on the report.
Now 2 weeks ago I received an urgent call from my attorney and when I went to see him he tried to get me to sign a release form because he had wanted to settle my case for 25,000 dollars without going to court less than 6 months after the accident. He claims that the guy only had a 25,000 dollar policy and so on.
Now what can I do about this? I did not sign the paper but I'm wondering if there' anything else I can do because he told me it's either I take it or lose it all.

rachelled said:
Now 2 weeks ago I received an urgent call from my attorney and when I went to see him he tried to get me to sign a release form because he had wanted to settle my case for 25,000 dollars without going to court less than 6 months after the accident. He claims that the guy only had a 25,000 dollar policy and so on.
Now what can I do about this? I did not sign the paper but I'm wondering if there' anything else I can do because he told me it's either I take it or lose it all.
We cannot tell you what you should think your injuries are worth. However, if the driver was only carrying limits of 25K, he probably doesn't have any assets you could go after. I think if he had deeper pockets, your attorney would have gone for more than his policy limit (you might want to check with your attorney on this). You can't get blood from a stone. I would take the settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">