• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently in a collision - need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmack

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My 8 yr old daughter and I were in a car accident on 10/16/05 around 9pm. I was travelling west on a 4 lane road in a well lit area that turns into a major highway. The person that hit me was going east. I was going about 45 mph in the left lane, when the other driver decided to make a U turn at a crossover at the moment I happened to be approaching. We collided nearly head on, and when I came to, witnesses told me that the other driver and passengers had fled the scene, leaving the vehicle behind. Later, the police informed me the persons in the other vehicle had been drinking, but the driver had not been found yet, just the passenger, who claimed not to know the name of the driver. It's been established that the owner of the vehicle did have insurance and he appears to be one of the passengers. He has admitted that he hit me. My vehicle has been declared a total loss, but I am confused as to what happens now. Do I really need a lawyer in this case or should I just settle with the insurance company? What do I do with the medical bills, and what will happen with the loss of the vehicle, a '95 model that was valued around $5000? Any advice would be appreciated.

kmack said:
What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My 8 yr old daughter and I were in a car accident on 10/16/05 around 9pm. I was travelling west on a 4 lane road in a well lit area that turns into a major highway. The person that hit me was going east. I was going about 45 mph in the left lane, when the other driver decided to make a U turn at a crossover at the moment I happened to be approaching. We collided nearly head on, and when I came to, witnesses told me that the other driver and passengers had fled the scene, leaving the vehicle behind. Later, the police informed me the persons in the other vehicle had been drinking, but the driver had not been found yet, just the passenger, who claimed not to know the name of the driver. It's been established that the owner of the vehicle did have insurance and he appears to be one of the passengers. He has admitted that he hit me. My vehicle has been declared a total loss, but I am confused as to what happens now. Do I really need a lawyer in this case or should I just settle with the insurance company? What do I do with the medical bills, and what will happen with the loss of the vehicle, a '95 model that was valued around $5000? Any advice would be appreciated.
You can either file a claim directly with his insurance company (if you have the applicable information) or you can file through your own insurance company and let them go after his.

You can usually get a consultation with a personal injury lawyer at no charge and most of them will work on a contingency basis. Whether or not you choose to go that route is entirely up to you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">