• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Strong Arm Tactics"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miss Maui Angel

What is the name of your state? HI
:confused: :( I am a parent of a children's sports league here in Hawaii. We are being assessed a "debt" for a situation that happened last season. They are currently "banning" our participation in any outside season activities until they receive the money they say we owe. We have not yet received any sort of bill or any other documentation proving or showing we owe this money other than emails saying we owe. We have been asking for any sort of "proof" that we incurred this debt. Some parents are now willing to come up with the money to pay this "debt" so some of our children can travel (even with out documentation) provided we pursue the matter. What I really need to know is if this "debt" is paid, will we still have legal recourse to pursue this thing or will the payment be an acknowledgement and acceptance of debt? Also, is it legal for them to use these "strong arm" tactics to force us to pay this without any sort of documentation?
Please help me,
Tara

BelizeBreeze

Miss Maui Angel said:
What is the name of your state? HI
:confused: :( I am a parent of a children's sports league here in Hawaii.
DAMN, that's a lot of labor pain to have to go through.
We are being assessed a "debt" for a situation that happened last season. They are currently "banning" our participation in any outside season activities until they receive the money they say we owe.
And who is "THEY"?
We have not yet received any sort of bill or any other documentation proving or showing we owe this money other than emails saying we owe. We have been asking for any sort of "proof" that we incurred this debt. Some parents are now willing to come up with the money to pay this "debt" so some of our children can travel (even with out documentation) provided we pursue the matter. What I really need to know is if this "debt" is paid, will we still have legal recourse to pursue this thing or will the payment be an acknowledgement and acceptance of debt?
I assume this is a private organization correct?
Also, is it legal for them to use these "strong arm" tactics to force us to pay this without any sort of documentation?
Please help me,
Tara
Answer the questions put to you and then you'll receive an answer.

dcatz

OP - Liberal use of quotes ("") and insufficent factual information makes a response difficult and possibly wrong.

As a general proposition, one would certainly think that you're entitled to know what you're being dunned for.

But whether "strong arm" tactics are being used and whether they're legal and what "banning" means in this context and who "they" (my choice, not yours) are and what rights they have with respect to your organization and what the "debt" is that might be discharged by payment would appear to be important things to know to try to give you a more complete response.

Miss Maui Angel

BelizeBreeze said:
DAMN, that's a lot of labor pain to have to go through.

And who is "THEY"? I guess you could say that "they" are the regulating body of this and all associations on Oahu.

I assume this is a private organization correct? Not sure. I am referring to a Pop Warner Football league. The "they" mentioned earlier is the board regulating Pop Warner.

Answer the questions put to you and then you'll receive an answer.
I hope this answers your questions

Miss Maui Angel

Ok. Let me start from the beginning with more detail. I am talking about the Pop Warner football league on Honolulu. We are being told by the board of Oahu Pop Warner that we owe $1000 for not traveling with a certain travel agency (which is now bankrupt). We have evidence (email) that we cancelled the reservation with this company the day we were notified that they were going to reserve seats for us. Oahu Pop Warner is now saying that we owe this money due to reserved seats not being cancelled. They are also saying that OPW paid the bill last year and are now requesting repayment. They have not given us any sort of documentation (or bill) showing that anyone paid this bill. They have not shown us any invoice, bill, statement or policy that shows we have to go with that certain company. We have emails also of them acknowledging us going with another travel company. They are now banning our cheerleaders from traveling this year until debt is paid. (The reason for so many quotations in other post is I refuse to acknowledge this as a debt until I see a bill) Some of the cheer parents are willing to now pay this money in hopes that OPW will release our cheerleaders to travel. These parents have stated, though, that they want this matter pursued still. They want us to continue to request for documentation, a bill, an invoice or something to show we owe this money. We have thought about other options to force OPW to provide us with documentation. My thoughts are that we will have no legal standings to pursue this matter after these parents pay this because it will be an acknowledgement and payment of debt.
I hope this clears things up better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">