• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madnjen

Texas

I moved from Albany, NY back in August, with my fiance. The people we were staying with held onto our possessions as so they could send them down to us via Amtrak. Once we got here they told us the amount would be $600. We could only send them $550, and on the memo I wrote "possessions sent through amtrak". They cashed the check on September first and spent $100 of it on a storage unit we had rented, which was acceptable only due to the fact that hurricane katrina happened and therefore the amtrak station here in Houston was temporarily out of business. However, only speaking to them every so often, ( they usually avoided our phone calls ), I said so you have the remaining amount of $450 to send our stuff, correct? They said we have $250 of it we needed the rest to clean (the area we stayed in). We were told when we stayed there that we didn't have to pay anything. And the area that was to be cleaned her son said he would do. Do I have any rights since I have a copy of my check to get my money back? I feel robbed.

BL

madnjen said:
Texas

I moved from Albany, NY back in August, with my fiance. The people we were staying with held onto our possessions as so they could send them down to us via Amtrak. Once we got here they told us the amount would be $600. We could only send them $550, and on the memo I wrote "possessions sent through amtrak". They cashed the check on September first and spent $100 of it on a storage unit we had rented, which was acceptable only due to the fact that hurricane katrina happened and therefore the amtrak station here in Houston was temporarily out of business. However, only speaking to them every so often, ( they usually avoided our phone calls ), I said so you have the remaining amount of $450 to send our stuff, correct? They said we have $250 of it we needed the rest to clean (the area we stayed in). We were told when we stayed there that we didn't have to pay anything. And the area that was to be cleaned her son said he would do. Do I have any rights since I have a copy of my check to get my money back? I feel robbed.
You want the entire $550.00 ?

Did the Persons you stayed with " Agree " to send ALL your belongings with the $550.00 ? You stated the cost to send was $600.00 .

Because of the Storm , they put your belongings in Storage . You want them to be responsible for Storage cost , and sending your belongings ?

When the money runs out for storage fees , what do you expect to happen to your belongings ?

On your own account you stayed there rent Free .

There were no meeting of the minds here , it seems to me .

You will most likely recover nothing .

Where are the Belongings Now ? You do not say . Still in Storage ?

If so, that is not their consern .

madnjen

No, I don't expect the full amount in return. I had a storage unit where previously and they paid $100 out of $550 toward that...that is acceptable. I am looking for the remaining amount, $450. They finally gave up my possessions to my fiances mother, without surrendering the remaining money. Yes, they agreed in full to use the entire amount towards sending everything. Your reply was neither helpful or appreciated....So, thanks anyway. As I stated before, my question is if what is stated on the check, ( to send my stuff through amtrak), is it legal for them to use the money for their own personal items, instead of what is stated on the check itself? They verbally agreed to send the items with the enclosed amount. If you have anything helpful please let me know. You can keep your opinions to yourself otherwise. Stupidity is not a crime but stealing someone's money is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">