• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dandt

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? arizona

I was involved in an auto accident in which the other person was cited. My car was damaged and I also have minor injuries. The day after the accident the adjuster for the insurance company of the other party came over to my home and wanted me to sign releases for my doctor and employer....so they could pay my medical and lost time from work. I thought it was odd, so I didn't sign anything. I have never been involved in an accident before this.

I would rather submit my own bills for medical and the damages. I heard that under AZ law, I can ask for 3 times the amount for my medical and pain and suffering. I don't want to deal with these people any more and want to get this settled asap, but don't want to get screwed either. I am cocered about long term with my injuries.

DGO1223

What kind of injuries did you have, have you been treated by Dr.s, do you anticipate further treatment? There are lots of things to consider here.

DH was recently injured in accident, Other party cited ER Dr, told him to go home he should be fine, ( even though he had facial fractures and concussion) ER Dr's aren't always the best to diagnose and treat.

When he followed up a few days later with an ENT who looked it all his scans, determined his fractures needed surgery to stabilize them. He also has a paralyzed eye that will not blink, for who knows how long!

Anyway, when this first happened, we felt we would just settle with the other at fault's ins. and they would pay the bills. Due to the fact of the seriousness of the injury, we got a lawyer to represent us, as we had no idea how to go about getting a fair settlement. Too many factors involved for us to work through ourselves.

Have you paid your medical bills yourself so far?

This 3x thing is based on many, many variables.

Not saying you need a lawyer, but you need to give more details so someone else on here that can help you out with more legal advice than me.

dandt

I went to the doctor the next morning. She sent me in for exrays, nothing broken. She gave me prescriptions and is sending me to therapy. It looks like I may have a problem with my rotorcuff and also upperback.

I have been paying my medical, my co-payments as I have my own health insurance.

JETX

dandt said:
the adjuster for the insurance company of the other party came over to my home and wanted me to sign releases for my doctor and employer....so they could pay my medical and lost time from work.
That is NOT true.
They wanted you to sign releases so that they can contact your employer (to get hourly rate/salary and number of hours work missed) and your doctor (to confirm medical treatment). That does not mean that they will pay anything.... and is normal in processing a claim.

I thought it was odd, so I didn't sign anything.
Not odd at all.... and simply delays their possible settlement offer.

I would rather submit my own bills for medical and the damages.
They likely will NOT accept them. Simply, sending a bill without ANY medical explanation is not sufficient. For all they know... your treatment may have absolutely nothing to do with the accident.

I heard that under AZ law, I can ask for 3 times the amount for my medical and pain and suffering.
ROTFLMAO!!!
Of course, that is NOT true. The old 'rumor' of 3 times damages went out long ago.... with the more aggressive pursuit of claim settlement to the benefit of the insurance company. Depending on your injuries, you will be lucky to get reimbursement for medical, real lost wages and a few hundred dollars for 'pain and suffering'. Especially likely if you have no long term injury.

I don't want to deal with these people any more and want to get this settled asap, but don't want to get screwed either. I am cocered about long term with my injuries.
Then accept the fact that you are going to give up 30 to 40% to an attorney... and get one.

dandt

This insurance company has already excepted 100% responsibility. They have agreed to pay medical, wages. etc.

The release that they are asking me to sign is for all medical records.......as far as I am concerned anything prior to the accident is none of their business. Just as how much time I've missed from work before the accident.

JETX

dandt said:
The release that they are asking me to sign is for all medical records.......as far as I am concerned anything prior to the accident is none of their business.
Then note their release to ONLY include medical records since the date of the accident.

Just as how much time I've missed from work before the accident.
Without the release to independently obtain confirmation of 'loss of wages', they will simply deny that part of your claim. Your call on whether you want loss of wages or not. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">