• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjtery

What is the name of your state? MD

I was hit in the front by a lady backing up to get into a parking space. I called the cops, but he didn't write a report upon arrival. We mutually agreed that she would take care of my car.

Her insurance company just wrote me a letter telling me that they bear no responsibility since their client was on the right, and there was no written accident report.

I went to the police station and contacted the cop who was present at the accident. He now claims not to remember any details. He says Md law doesn't require a cop to write an accident report if there is no injury, and also that there were no independent eyewitnesses. However, he remembers being told by both parties that the lady was backing up, contrary to what her insurance company is now saying.

What do I do? I can't afford to fix my car, and I'm afraid she might even come after me financially. Neither of us got a ticket.

cjtery said:
What is the name of your state? MD

I was hit in the front by a lady backing up to get into a parking space. I called the cops, but he didn't write a report upon arrival. We mutually agreed that she would take care of my car.

Her insurance company just wrote me a letter telling me that they bear no responsibility since their client was on the right, and there was no written accident report.

I went to the police station and contacted the cop who was present at the accident. He now claims not to remember any details. He says Md law doesn't require a cop to write an accident report if there is no injury, and also that there were no independent eyewitnesses. However, he remembers being told by both parties that the lady was backing up, contrary to what her insurance company is now saying.

What do I do? I can't afford to fix my car, and I'm afraid she might even come after me financially. Neither of us got a ticket.
Without a police report or independent witness, it's just your word against hers. This is why you should ALWAYS get a police report. People lie and go back on things they said at the time of accidents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">