• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am being sued!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cc97sls

What is the name of your state? CT.

I was involved in a traffic accident almost two years ago. I received a summons left in the front door three days ago naming me and my girlfriend as defendants in a civil case due to the accident.

I was driving my girlfriends car with her in the front passenger seat and her five year old son in a booster seat in the back seat. We were proceeding west through a four lane intersection with a GREEN traffic light when a second vehicle coming from the east bound lane made a left turn crossing into our path immediately in front of us. I hit the brakes as fast as possible but could not stop our vehicle in time to avoid collision into the passenger side of the second vehicle. As our vehicles collided, the second vehicle's motion continued and then struck into a third vehicle that was stopped and waiting as the southbound traffic light was red. My car came to rest just past the middle of the intersection and the second car came to rest head-on with the southbound third vehicle.

The police report stated that the driver of the second vehicle made an illegal left turn thru a RED traffic light and caused the collision. Two witnesses gave a statement that supported this. The second vehicle driver was issued a traffic ticket from the police. A passenger in the third vehicle was the only person taken by ambulance due to neck and back pain.

The passenger of the third vehicle is suing the driver of the second vehicle, she is suing me. My girlfriend is named in the suit as additional defendant since she owns the car I was driving.

The suit claims that the plaintiff's injuries were caused by the carelessness and negligence of me in one or more of the follwing ways: I was inattentive; In that I failed to stop at a Red traffic light; In that I operated my vehicle at a greater speed than was reasonable; In that I failed to apply my brakes in a timely fashion when I reasonably could have done so; In that I failed to turn left or right to avoid the collision when I could have reasonably done so; In that I failed to keep my vehicle under proper control.

All of these claims are false in my judgement. How can the plaintiff make false claims like these? I had no charges from this accident and was innocent as the plaintiff was. I would like some advice of what to do.

teflon_jones

Your girlfriend needs to contact her insurance company she had at the time of the accident and they should provide representation.

Cosmot0731

Yes. I would have your girlfriend contact her ins co as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry too much about this, it should turn out ok for you two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">