• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear-ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COSunshine

What is the name of your state? CO

While at a red light, I was rear-ended by a driver who was talking on a cell phone. My car's rear bumper was scratched and there's a small puncture in it...and the other driver's front license plate was ripped off. The other driver didn't want to cooperate with exchanging info at first, but eventually did. Police gave the other driver a ticket. At the time I didn't think I was injured. A few hours later, I felt increasing pain in my back and neck, and I was feeling pins and needles sensations in my hands, legs, and feet. I went to the hospital and the doc gave me prescriptions which make it unsafe for me to drive. I reported everything to my insurance company...so they know I'm injured.

I am a graduate student doing internship so I don't receive a paycheck; however, if I don't show up for internship, I will not be fulfilling my contract and will lose internship hours required for graduation. How do I go about figuring out the damages for that? Also, if I take taxi cabs where I need to go since driving is unsafe while under this medication, is it possible to later be reimbursed? Another thing...how does one go about checking out a lawyer's credentials?

Thanks for your input.

JETX

COSunshine said:
How do I go about figuring out the damages for that?
You don't.

Also, if I take taxi cabs where I need to go since driving is unsafe while under this medication, is it possible to later be reimbursed?
Nope.

Another thing...how does one go about checking out a lawyer's credentials?
Start by asking them.

Cosmot0731

"How do I go about figuring out the damages for that?"

Unless you have paid tuition for those hours and will lose that money if you don't attend the intern hours, then I don't believe you can be reimbursed.

"Also, if I take taxi cabs where I need to go since driving is unsafe while under this medication, is it possible to later be reimbursed?"

You will most likely not be reimbursed for the full amount of the taxi cab fares but you can always ask. What is more likely is to find out what a rental car would have cost while your car is being repaired. You may be able to convince them to pay you that per day cost.

COSunshine

Cosmot0731 said:
"How do I go about figuring out the damages for that?"

Unless you have paid tuition for those hours and will lose that money if you don't attend the intern hours, then I don't believe you can be reimbursed.

"Also, if I take taxi cabs where I need to go since driving is unsafe while under this medication, is it possible to later be reimbursed?"

You will most likely not be reimbursed for the full amount of the taxi cab fares but you can always ask. What is more likely is to find out what a rental car would have cost while your car is being repaired. You may be able to convince them to pay you that per day cost.
Thanks for replying! The insurance rep said to document everything about how this accident is affecting my internship, especially since internship is directly related to job opportunities. Apparently, if I am unable to fulfill internship as planned and my contract is affected because of it, that will be taken into consideration. Also, it was a good idea to ask about receiving what a rental car would cost while my car is in the shop...even though I will need to take taxi cabs and not driving. They're going to give me that.

I feel a little relieved. It's nice to get some input. Thank you very much! I'm still not sure if I need to talk with an attorney, although my family and friends said I should. I'm nervous about it. Taking this medication makes me feel out of it, so I'm anxious about asking the right questions and checking out a lawyer's credentials, etc.

Any suggestions with regard to checking out lawyers would be appreciated.

COSunshine

JETX said:
You don't.

Nope.

Start by asking them.

Thanks for replying! I'm nervous about asking the right questions. I think taking a friend with me to a consultation with a lawyer might help. I just wish I the medication didn't make me feel so loopy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">