• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Totaled Out In Parking Lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bekt1

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I gave permission to my child who is a licensed driver to drive my vehicle to school. She let someone else drive the vehicle in the parking lot of the school. The driver only has a driver's permit and drove around the parking lot sucessfully once. He was asked to get out of the vehicle and he refused, then continued to drive...then put the vehicle in reverse and backed up at an unreasonable rate of speed, hitting a fire hydrant and causing extensive damage. This was filed againt my insurance and the vehicle has been declared a total loss. The payoff from the insurance company (less my deductable) is not enough to replace the car. The parents have offered to pay half of the deductible, however that was before I found out it was a total loss. The driver was a minor, but do I have any legal recourse against the legal guardians? What type of damages would I ask for in court?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bekt1 said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama

I gave permission to my child who is a licensed driver to drive my vehicle to school. She let someone else drive the vehicle in the parking lot of the school. The driver only has a driver's permit and drove around the parking lot sucessfully once. He was asked to get out of the vehicle and he refused, then continued to drive...then put the vehicle in reverse and backed up at an unreasonable rate of speed, hitting a fire hydrant and causing extensive damage. This was filed againt my insurance and the vehicle has been declared a total loss. The payoff from the insurance company (less my deductable) is not enough to replace the car. The driver was a minor, but do I have any legal recourse against the legal guardians?

My response:

Yes, but the judge will also tell you that your daughter is liable for 50% for allowing an unlicensed driver to drive your car. Then, in court, the judge will award you damages against the kid and his "guardians."

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">