• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled due to nonpayment of premiums..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

This question is for a friend of mine: If auto insurance is cancelled,due to

non payment of premiums;would the insurance company need to notify the

person

via certified mail ? Or do they simply need to send the notice regular mail?

Also: If the company accepts a payment,a couple days after the termination

of the policy would that mean the person might still be insured?

I hope there are standard answers,and I am not forcing anyone to get their crystal ball out of the cupboard..........Thanks ;) undefined

racer72

The insurance company does not have to notify you at all. It will be spelled out in the policy. All state that if payment is not received by a certain day each month (if on a month to month policy), the policy will become inactive at 12 midnight. Most insurance companies also send payment reminder well in advance too. It is up to the policy holder to know when to pay the premium and the results of not paying on time. Most policies have payment grace period, your policy will be reinstated without penalty if the premium is paid within a certain period, it is also in the policy. Many folks confuse this grace period thinking they are covered by their insurance during this grace period, they are not.

Wow!

Most policies have payment grace period, your policy will be reinstated without penalty if the premium is paid within a certain period, it is also in the policy. Many folks confuse this grace period thinking they are covered by their insurance during this grace period, they are not.
Today 05:20 AM
OK...good to know. I would not have thought that

you are dropped like a hot

potato,as far as not being covered during the grace period.

Guess it's all in that 'pesky fine print' that many folks (myself included,only

read when there is a problem. ......huband to wife::::............."Honey,the house is on fire!where

is that homeowner's policy?"...I know you told me not to store the gas cans in our

ATTATCHED garage,but did the policy say that,or was that just YOUR

suggestion?!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">