• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen truck, recovered 2 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mary84107

UTAH

My truck was stolen over two years ago. Police report filed. No comprehensive insurance so suffered the entire loss with no compensation from insurance company. The truck was recovered last week without any tires and wheels and probably undrivable.
It was towed to a service yard by the police. I am supposed to go to the DMV and get some paper proving I own the truck. I don't want anything to do with it. It was an old truck and I'm sure not worth new wheels, new tires and engine repairs. Plus I was told the towing fee was $160 and $15 a day for storage.
Questions:
Am I liable for the towing and storage fees?
Do I have to claim the vehicle?
Any info on how to cut my losses would be appreciated.

Thanks. :confused:

nicholasf

mary84107 said:
UTAH

My truck was stolen over two years ago. Police report filed. No comprehensive insurance so suffered the entire loss with no compensation from insurance company. The truck was recovered last week without any tires and wheels and probably undrivable.
It was towed to a service yard by the police. I am supposed to go to the DMV and get some paper proving I own the truck. I don't want anything to do with it. It was an old truck and I'm sure not worth new wheels, new tires and engine repairs. Plus I was told the towing fee was $160 and $15 a day for storage.
Questions:
Am I liable for the towing and storage fees?
Do I have to claim the vehicle?
Any info on how to cut my losses would be appreciated.

Thanks. :confused:
You can most likely do what I did when my ’65 Ford was wreaked. I “sold” the car to the tow company for the price of towing and storage. Every tow company is different but there is a good chance they will “buy” your truck for the coast of towing and storage. Call them and they will give you some options. You can also donate the truck. You’ll get a tax right off and they will more often then not pay the fee’s on the car. Father Joe is a car donation place thingy I have used a few times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">