• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP: Car leasing company wants 20K.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vika247

What is the name of your state? NY_NJ

I let my friend drive my leased car and he took insurance to his name. I notified my leasing company and they asked for a copy of insurance card never mentioning that I might be in lease default. Now they charge me 20K because my lease agreement states that I have to have insurance under my name. What should I do?

Cosmot0731

If you cancelled your insurance completely, you may be out of luck. Check to see if by chance you were added to your friends policy when he took the insurance out.

You might also ask the leasing company why it took them so long to decide that you were in default because when you cancelled your policy the lease co would have been notified immediately and should have contacted you. Technically it is still your responsibility to maintain the insurance but most lease companies would at least send you a letter notifying you of the possible default.

I would be as nice as possible with the leasing company and try to work out a deal.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">