• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shawn1

I need some advice on a summons given to me.It states that
I refused and/or failed to pay the employment contractor
3 years ago when they found a teaching job for me.I dont
disagree with this matter. However I have had two jobs in
the course of this time period. Now I am unemployed and looking for work. My question is "Can I go to the hearing
and tell the judge that I am regretful and apolize for I have neglected my responsibilities.And would like to make
an offer of settlement and not waste any time of the court
time with this matter.
They are wanting $3496.00 of what I owed plus court costs of
$350.00/$89.00fee. Total cost $3935.00 I have little or no assets or income to pay in full.I have sold my car for $600
and can scrape up another $200.00 from a credit card.

Thank you,

Shawn

D

David J. Miller

You can do that but the court does not have to agree to satisfy the judgement for that amount. Certainly it would show good faith to pay what you have now and explain to the court that you are out-of-work and are unable to make restitution fully at this time but will make it top priority when you have secured employment.

They can't take away your birthday. They will simply file a judgement against you that you can satisfy at a later date when you have the funds.

Obviously this will hurt your credit for a little while but upon clearing it up a little bit of time keeping your nose clean will do wonders.

You could also try contacting the creditor and explaining your circumstances and see if they will settle out-of-court for $800. The worst thing they could do is say no and order all future birthdays to come to a halt.

I am not an attorney. I'm not even a darn law clerk. In fact, I'm only five years old. That's right, I'm a child prodigy. Yah that's right. I have an IQ of 300 and I have'nt even broken the habit of sucking my thumb yet and occassionally I still wet the bed.

Just kidding. Had yah going though didn't I?
(Just kidding about being five years old and having an IQ of 300.) The rest is still true. But only when I drink to much.

Heeheehee

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">