• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid commissions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maxi01

From '92 to '99 I worked as a commissioned salesperson for a computer company. December of 1998 was a great month for me - I was due $10K in commissions (supposedly payable at the beginning of Jan). My boss kept putting me off (typical behavior for him, but previously he always paid up, eventually). He entered into merger talks with another firm - it didn't go through; he was supposed to be bought out by yet another firm - he stopped paying his vendors - he lost all his credit - he eventually went out of business in April. He still owes me $10K. Now he's claiming that since it was the Corporation that owed me the money, he's not legally liable for that debt. He was the sole shareholder of the corporation (organized under New York State law). I've heard that there's an exception to the usual rules of corporate/personal liability when it applies to paying employees. Who's right?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

I think you're right about the "exception". Contact the Department of Labor.

I'm admitted in New York State. If I can help further, please contact me directly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">