• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auction problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmaps

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA
I recently participated in an auction in which I bid on several paintings. The paintings' value had been greatly underestimated by the auction house and I had planned to purchase them and resell them. I was outbid on all three by the same person, who subsequently failed to pay for the paintings. As a result the paintings were retained for sale in a subsequent auction. I believe that their true value is now apparent (based on the unexpectedly heavy bidding activity at the original auction) and that at the re-auction they will each sell for an amount at least $1000 more than they would have were it not for the actions of the deadbeat bidder. If this happens, do I, as the underbidder, have a case for damages against the deadbeat bidder? If so, can I file a subpoena with the auction house to identify him?

The auction house was within its rights to put the items up for re-auction.

JETX

jmaps said:
If this happens, do I, as the underbidder, have a case for damages against the deadbeat bidder?
No. You have NO standing at all in any auction (failed or not) between the auction house and the other bidder.

HomeGuru

jmaps said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA
I recently participated in an auction in which I bid on several paintings. The paintings' value had been greatly underestimated by the auction house and I had planned to purchase them and resell them. I was outbid on all three by the same person, who subsequently failed to pay for the paintings. As a result the paintings were retained for sale in a subsequent auction. I believe that their true value is now apparent (based on the unexpectedly heavy bidding activity at the original auction) and that at the re-auction they will each sell for an amount at least $1000 more than they would have were it not for the actions of the deadbeat bidder. If this happens, do I, as the underbidder, have a case for damages against the deadbeat bidder? If so, can I file a subpoena with the auction house to identify him?

The auction house was within its rights to put the items up for re-auction.

**A: you have no cause whatsoever. Know the rules of the game before you play. And stop being a spoil sport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">