• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed to yield

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tall_q

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I got a ticket for not stopping for a pedestrian, he was not on any crosswalk, he saw me coming and only made it half way and he decided to wait for me to drive by before he starts to finish his crossing. although he did not give me any gestures to continue driving he clearly was not moving, he stood there. he could have made it over by the time i got there.

is this fair?

Tall_q said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I got a ticket for not stopping for a pedestrian, he was not on any crosswalk, he saw me coming and only made it half way and he decided to wait for me to drive by before he starts to finish his crossing. although he did not give me any gestures to continue driving he clearly was not moving, he stood there. he could have made it over by the time i got there.

is this fair?
Quoted from Minnesota's state website:

In 1996 Minnesota made it a little easier to be a pedestrian by passing a law requiring drivers to stop and yield right-of-way to pedestrians in a crosswalk, marked or unmarked, where there are not traffic control signals in place. An unmarked crosswalk is defined by the area falling within the boundary of lateral lines if you were to extend the sidewalks across the street. The driver must remain stopped until the pedestrian has passed the lane in which the vehicle is stopped.

Tall_q said:
would it be different if the pedestrian waved for me to go first?
I'm not sure, but it may depend on the mood of the judge. If they take the statute as written, though, you're stuck on this one.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">