• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fender bender in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dssc

What is the name of your state? PA

My daughter had a fender bender in the high school parking lot. She had entered the lot from one entrance and was driving through to her space.
The other driver entered at another entrance and hit my daughter as she was passing in front of the entrance.My daugther's car was hit on the driver side behind the driver's door. The front of the other car was dented. There is minor damage to both cars. Immediately after the accident both kids said no big deal and the other driver said she had a friend who could fix the dent. No insurance information was exchanged. Later that night the other child called and hysterically demanded our insurance information because the accident was all my child's fault and she wants our insurance to fix her car. She now claims my child was going the wrong way in a one way section of the lot. The entrance where my child entered is not marked one way - I checked and there are no signs posted anywhere in the lot and I have observed cars going both directions. Regardless, my child's car was passing in front of the entrance when the other driver entered and hit her car. The damage to my child's car is minimal and we are not going to have it fixed. We do not feel that our insurance should pay for the other car. PA is a no fault state so I don't know how that would factor in.

nicholasf

You can’t legally go the wrong way in a parking lot any way. A Government parking lot might be different but for the most part there are no true right of ways in a lot. The other car hit your daughters car? Explain to them how an accident at there age, no fault or not will cost more in increased insurance premiums then the minimal damage is worth. Explain the only way you will pay is by getting your insurance company involved. Just scare them into submission.

Pennsylvania is not a true no-fault state. PA is no-fault with regards to medical payments and wage loss, not property damage, so that part of your question is moot.

Tell the other driver she's more than welcome to file a claim with your carrier for the accident, but you want her insurance information so you can file a claim with her carrier.

If she insists, let the insurance carriers fight it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">