• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Door Ding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slagore

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been accused of creating a door ding on someone's car - which is not true. I walked over to my car and noticed the person parked to my right was parked extremely close to me. She happened to still be at her car and I restrained from asking her to re-park correctly. I proceeded to put my 1 year old in the right rear side of my car while making sure my car door does not touch the car next to me. I noticed the accusers car was parked crooked and not in perfect condition - I remember a big white scratch across her door. No big deal - I was able to get my child in with no problem and left. Three hours later the accusers husband (a stranger) showed up at my door accusing me of creating a door ding and requested reimbursement to fix his car. He stated he filed a case with the police and threaten to sue for a "hit and Run" - if I didn't cooperate. A "Hit and Run" - that's what he called it. He claims he got my name from the merchant I shopped at (which was illegal to give out according to the police officer) and did a search to find our home - stalked our house for 15 mins then knocked on our door. He threaten that he's a trial expert to prove cases for a living (he does not work for the gov't - it's an independent business) and he can prove it was our car. Even though I know for a fact it wasn't.

I have not seen his car. The police report states it's a minor door ding.

There are absolutely no scratches, dings, or any paint missing from my car. The whole point is I didn't even touch their car - I didn't do anything. The accuser claims he can match the white paint to my car. Funny - the husbands car is also white - maybe he did it. I'm not the only person with a white car. The other odd thing is that they live and work more than 35 miles away. And they both happen to be at this small merchant in separate cars during working hours at the same time??? Sounds fishy to me and to the police officer.

What can I do? Besides photos of my car and a statement from the police verifying my cars in perfect condition along with my denial - What else do I need? Can he really sue? There's no proof it was my car. No witnesses. Can I counter-sue? I told him it wasn't me - I don't have time to go to small claims court to prove what I already told him.

stephenk

don't pay him anything. let him sue you in small claims court, if he ever does.

you may want to notify your auto carrier about this potential claim and the problems you see with it.

slagore

Counterclaims in a Magistate Court

State: Georgia
Ok...I have been notified that I am being sued for a door ding worth $770. Even though I told the person I didn't ding his car, I was not parked next to his car, and the police put on the report that the ding was not created by my car. Even with all this evidence he is pursuing a lawsuit.

I want to counterclaim for confliction of intentional emotional distress along with all the hours this is and will be taking away from my business since I'm self employed. Can I? If not, what can I counterclaim for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">