• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car hit in drive-thru

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cher_r_r

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Hello, hoping someone/anyone could give me some input. While driving through the drive-thru at Wendy's a car was stalled and parked in the middle of the parking lot besides the drive-thru lane, however not blocking it or in the way. Anyhow, as I drove through the guy opens his door and hits my passenger side mirror and breaks it and dings my door as well. :( I called the police and they wrote a report but said they couldn't help any, it's a civil matter. Well the guy refuses to pay and says its my fault but I never went out of my lane, he opened his door on me.
My question is, am I legally entitled to him fixing my car? :confused: Don't want to take him to court if I am wrong. Please offer any advice you can. Thanks.

nicholasf

cher_r_r said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
Hello, hoping someone/anyone could give me some input. While driving through the drive-thru at Wendy's a car was stalled and parked in the middle of the parking lot besides the drive-thru lane, however not blocking it or in the way. Anyhow, as I drove through the guy opens his door and hits my passenger side mirror and breaks it and dings my door as well. :( I called the police and they wrote a report but said they couldn't help any, it's a civil matter. Well the guy refuses to pay and says its my fault but I never went out of my lane, he opened his door on me.
My question is, am I legally entitled to him fixing my car? :confused: Don't want to take him to court if I am wrong. Please offer any advice you can. Thanks.
We had a CHP officer come in and talk with us at my last job. The job was 80% driving so they wanted us to know the laws from the police perspective.

It seems that the standard right of way laws and collision laws don’t pertain to privet/commercial property {Parking lots, Drive threw}. Did you contact your insurance provider?

You might just have to take him to small claims. Did you get his info?

cher_r_r

car hit in drive thru

I do have his info, but worried about the extra costs entailed if I were to take him to small claims and lose. Was hoping to hear if I had a chance of winning. I do thank you all for your replies... :)

cher_r_r said:
I do have his info, but worried about the extra costs entailed if I were to take him to small claims and lose. Was hoping to hear if I had a chance of winning. I do thank you all for your replies... :)
Your chances of winning should be high since he opened his door into your path, but no one here has a crystal ball. It's worth it to take him to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">